Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dealing with songs with elementary pupils    

Dealing with songs with elementary pupils

highfa
Tunisia

Dealing with songs with elementary pupils

Good Morining dear collegues!

I have difficulties dealing with songs while teaching elementary pupils, can you advise me some techniques, activities and / or strategies?

Thanks a lot

Smile

21 Nov 2009      

creative no.1
Iran

hi dear colleague;
please first clarify in which part of song apllying you �ve faced problem and explain what the problem is. then i �m at your serviceWink

21 Nov 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Songs and chants are some of the easiest ways of teaching a foreign language.
Lots of repetition and fun too.
You can choose songs by category - for example
songs about clothes or songs with grammar.
You ought to Google "children �s songs".
Play the music and have your kids stand up and sing along.
Write the lyrics on the board or copy as hand-outs.
My small students love songs like:

Head and shoulders knees and toes  (body parts)
There were 10 in the bed (numbers)
Old McDonald had a farm (animals)
My Bonnie is over the ocean (verbs to be)

There are millions of songs on the internet, youtube and other sites.
Lots of members here have a whole arsenal of good songs.

L

21 Nov 2009     

highfa
Tunisia

Thank u all for your replies. Well, my problem consists mainly in the way of dealing with songs.I mean, what activities should I focus on, especially for young learnes, should the lyrics be gapped? Should I go step by step with lyrics or have all pupils repeat in choral?How can I engage pupils in competition or games?I don �t know if u get what I mean, but I always feel that my sessions lack interaction between pupils and by the end I do have this bitter feeling that things could have been better.

Again thanks for your replies, you are of great help!

Regards
Highfa

21 Nov 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

If they are school kids, you can copy the lyrics onto colourful papers and cut them line by line (one lyric=one strip of paper). I usually have a different colour for each team. Then I play the song for them and they try to arrange the lyrics in the proper order. Or if they �re preschoolers - illustrate lines and have them organise illustrations as they hear them. You can also make a poster of the song with blanks and have each team fill in theirs as they listen. You can also give them lyrics with mistakes in them to correct(simple spelling mistakes or a wrong word per each line). 
It �s also great to play with the recording - play the song, then press pause and have sts guess the next word. Or play with the volume - when you turn it up, they have to sing louder, when you turn it down, they have to sing more queitly.
Have to go now, hope this helps a bit...

21 Nov 2009     

highfa
Tunisia

This help a loot indeed!!!!!thank u soooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!Smile

21 Nov 2009