Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > 1st and 2nd Conditionals    

1st and 2nd Conditionals

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

1st and 2nd Conditionals

Dear colleagues,

as I teach at primary school I �m not very good at Conditionals (they are being taught at high school in my country). Unfortunately I came across this exercise and I �m not quite sure, how it should be. Could you help me, please?

I�m only 17. If I ......(be) older I...(get) a job abroad. It �s John �s birthday party next week. If he ... (ask) you to his party ..... (you go). She never looks very happy. Perhaps she...(be) happier if she ...(live)somewhere else. The sky is very dark. If it ...(rain) afternoon we ...(not play) tennis . Don �t worry mum . If we ....(miss) the last train after the party tonight, we ...(get) a taxi home .

I �d write it this way:
If I was older I could get a job abroad.  If he asked you to the party, would you go? Perhaps she would be happier if she lived somewhere else. If it will rain in the afternoon we couldn �t play tennis. If we will miss the train, we could get a taxi home.

Thank you very much for your help. Michaela

23 Nov 2009      

natalli
Belarus

If I were (or was) older I would get a job. If he asks, you will go (or if the action is probable but not completely real - If he asked, you would go). She would be happier if she lived... If it rains in the afternoon wwe won �t play... If we miss .. we will get..

23 Nov 2009     

niacouto
Portugal

If I was/were older I could get a job abroad.  If he asked you to the party, would you go? Perhaps she would be happier if she lived somewhere else. If it will rain (rains) in the afternoon we won �t/ can �t play tennis. If we will miss ( miss) the train, we could (can) get a taxi home.

I suppose the most logical would be using a first conditonal.

23 Nov 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Thank you very much for your help.Thumbs Up

23 Nov 2009     

Aga1985
Poland

If I was/were older I could/would get a job abroad. If we miss the train we can/will get a taxi

23 Nov 2009