Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A Christmas doubt :-)    

A Christmas doubt :-)

silvanija
Lithuania

A Christmas doubt :-)

As far as I know "Santa Claus" is American English and "Father Christmas" is British English. Are they interchangable? Do people in Britain use words "Santa Claus"? And what about "candy cane" - is it British or American English or both. Confused

Thanks a lot for help.

23 Nov 2009      

Mariethe House
France

Santa Claus IS used in Britain but I never heard of candy cane when I lived there! However, with the interpenetration of the 2 forms of English, it  might be used in England now! Let �s see what other people have to say!
edit  rock candy was used instead of candy cane!

23 Nov 2009     

Elisa76
Italy

We certainly use Santa Clause in the UK but as far as I �m concerned I consider Candy cane to be American English.

23 Nov 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

Thank you for your quick answers.

Is there a substitute for candy cane in British English? In my childhood book "Marry Poppins opens the door" Michael and Jane were riding something similar to candy canes. The chapter was called "Peppermint Horses".  Sad that I read that book in my native language LOL

23 Nov 2009     

Nicola5052
United Kingdom

Father Christmas is often the name given to �the big man � by younger children here in England.   Santa Claus, although known, tends to be used by older people.  Candy cane is very American and hardly used at all.  A stick of rock is something we get at the seaside and not the type that is typical at Christmas.  Hope that helps!

23 Nov 2009     

libertybelle
United States

And Santa Claus is without an E at the end.

23 Nov 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

You all such a great help Hug

23 Nov 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Thanks, Silvanija, I learned a lot with your doubts.

24 Nov 2009