Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Task-based approach    

Task-based approach

Liligirl
Brazil

Task-based approach

What is the characteristics of task-based approach? Does anyone have experience in  this methodology ? What are the pros and cos ?  

29 Nov 2009      

Maha Alawdat
Israel

Hi,
The word approach in teaching refers to a set of beliefs which affects decisions such as what to teach and how. There are 4 approaches: Content-based approach, Language Appreciation approach, Personal Response approach , Language Practice approach.

I know it as "The Content-Based approach", which is appropriate for more advanced, older students, especially in L1, is best avoided when teaching literature to elementary and junior-high EFL students certain elements of the Content-Based approach are important � such as the connections made between literary texts/authors and their social and historical contexts and the use of meta-language for talking about literary language devices and their effects on meaning.  It is to be hoped, however, that the lecture and spoon-feeding characteristics of the approach will be avoided.

Similarly, though literature may well be exploited for heightening language awareness and enriching vocabulary knowledge, it is recommended to assign these aspects a secondary role in the teaching of literature, unless awareness of them is crucial to understanding the text. In any case, it is recommended that focus on language forms in literature take a secondary role, after focussing on meanings of the text, rather than a central role as seen in the Language Practice approach.

In EFL classes it is extremely important to help students make connections between the chosen literature and their own lives. Techniques from the Personal Response approach help teachers achieve this aim. It is also important to build up students � confidence in interpreting literature by teaching helpful thinking skills and tips for understanding literary devices, and then letting them work in pairs or small groups to make discoveries and work out meanings. This is the role of activities associated with the Language Appreciation approach.

In fact I worked with my teachers on these approaches and applied it on a poem. If you are interested I can upload it.

Hope I clarified it

29 Nov 2009     

Crespus2006
United States

Hello "conterr�nea"!

Personally, I prefer PPP than tbl but the concept is quite easy.

* The aim of the lesson is for the Ss to complete the task.
* You start w/ a discussion.
* You give the Ss tasks to do.
* You and your Ss dicuss the problems w/ the new language
* Lastly, you give a new exercise w/ the new language.

That �s it!

29 Nov 2009     

Thowere
Albania

no matter where you are but you can still find the best online writing service website at such good price which I loved this even you can share the same with your friends  https://essaywriting.site/ who might need this magic to understand how well it works for everybody

24 Mar 2022