Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Disappointment    

Disappointment

danibauer
Brazil

Disappointment

I �ve been very disappointed lately...
After having uploaded some worksheets that had taken me some time and creativity to prepare I realized that what people like here are colorful and decorated worksheets. It seems that sometimes the layout is more important than the content itself.
Of course they �re very appealing, but when I �m going to print the worksheets out, I always take some minutes to delete most part of them, in order to save some ink.
My last three worksheets (which I have deleted) had only two downloads each and not even one thank you note. It was about the verbal section of the GMAT test, something that I couldn �t find here when I needed>

Well, I just wanted to share my point of view with all of you...

Have a nice weekend!

Daniela

4 Dec 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

You should be happy you got those few downloads. :)  TONS of people make wss only to get a few dls.  It makes me wonder about your motivation.  Are you making wss for sharing or for the points?

4 Dec 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Actually, every time someone downloads a worksheet that took me a long time to prepare, it seems like a reward... It gives me satisfaction.
What about you?
On the other hand, what I meant was that sometimes people upload some short fill-in-the-blanks exercises copied from grammar books and add nice and colorful pictures and it seems that those worksheets are better than the ones with the same style in black and white.

4 Dec 2009     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Dear Daniela,

I totally agree with you. My first wss were only grammar exercises made in B&W. But as they got only few downloads, I started improving my wss, and now I upload colourful wss which I mostly don �t use myself. I usually upload B&W version too, and mostly it has more downloads than the colourful one. I usually download B&w wss only, if I download coloured ones, I have to edit them, because I can �t do 150 colour copies for my students:o(( Unfortunately some of them are not even editable, so for me it is useful. That is also a reason why all my wss are editable, so other can rearrange it the way they like.
Remember, as with goods in the shops - it is the cover which catches the eye.

Don �t give up. Have a nice weekend, MichaelaHug

4 Dec 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Thank you for the kind words, dear Michaela!

4 Dec 2009     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

dani, most people here say that they are interested in content vs layout but the truth is that the most downloaded ws are the one with terrific layouts. yesterday someone posted this issue and let me tell you that, as i said yesterday, when my kids see ws with just sentences they see them as more work, but when i bring ws with nice layouts they enjoy working with them. after all for me the ink is not an issue because i have two alternatives, either i print them in gray scale or just fix the ws myself. i have even downloaded ws with some exercises that maybe i dont like or need but with a super cool layout and fix the exercises later. i know is dissapointing but maybe then if ypou think you are really good with exercises, why dont you add a nice layout to go with it.

4 Dec 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

I have been browsing your printables and not only have they got a colourful layout but also many downloads...
There �s no need to feel disappointed...
It has happened to most of us...
I have uploaded worksheet I loved, which took me ages to make and they only had a couple of downloads and very few comments...
It happens...
Take it easy and use that energy for something better than feeling disappointed!
Cyn

4 Dec 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Hi, Liz!

I totally agree with when talking about kids, but this semester I have only gotten adults students.

And worksheets with a lot of Mickey �s, teddy bears and flowers, for instance, are not suitable for everyone.

What I mean is that sometimes people do not take the time to analyse the content, and just go for the appearance.

Thanks for replying!

Have a nice weekend!

4 Dec 2009     

danibauer
Brazil

Hi, Cyn!

Thanks for the nice words... But if you sort them by latest uploaded you are going to see that I have stopped doing a lot of colorful designs. And the downloads have decreased a lot!

Have a nice weekend!

4 Dec 2009     

carinita
Argentina

If teachers pay more attention to the layout, they are missing the point. I agree with Daniela. I �m not that computer skilled so I guess I �ll never get tons of points.

4 Dec 2009     

veljaca82
Australia

I agree that the content is the most important, at least it is for me.

But is it really important to get "tons of points"?

My first wss weren �t getting so much points as I thought they shoud, but other creative people from this site have motivated me to improve my wss, and guess what? the YLS �s response to my new wss was so much better than to the older ones (I have just added some stars and pictures from their favourite cartoons)

Anyway, make sure you get the necessary 30 points and you will be able to download 30 for free every day (by the way, I never download so much in a day)

I hope u understand my point

Have a nice weekend!

4 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >