Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Grammatical Structure: A Point of Clarification    

Grammatical Structure: A Point of Clarification

phil niro
Japan

Grammatical Structure: A Point of Clarification

Dearest Teachers,

I really appreciated the worksheets and other learning materials from you all. It really made a great difference all the time. At this juncture, I would like to clarify the grammatical structure of the following:

1. Which is correct ?  "Do you like pandas ?" or  "Do you like panda?"
2. Here is the list of words. Is it proper to write its first letter in a capitalized form ?
science , english, basketball, table tennis, mathematics

6 Dec 2009      

maoopa
China

Hi astro,

For the 1st one "Do you like pandas ?" is the best choice if you are talking about the animals. If you are talking about a rock band, or something called panda, then "Do you like panda?" is the best.

In the 2nd one, I �d change to "Here is the list of words" you are talking about 1 list (of words), you are not talking about "all the words" in the list.

As for the words, the only ones that can be written in lower case letters are basketball and table tennis. I �d rather capitalize all of them.

I hope that helps,

Mauro

6 Dec 2009     

phil niro
Japan

thanks mauro ..you re such a great friend herein.

6 Dec 2009