Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Horrible first day ...    

Horrible first day ...

SaraMariam
United States

Horrible first day ...

I just came back from my first day in a new school. I have put really much work in preparing the courses and was totally motivated and happy when I arrived. I had 2 courses; both 2 hours each (I know; it is a very long time for children). I did many different activities, so the children wouldnt get bored, songs, games, everything. The first group started and only problems really. 3 kids knew each other and dont get along with each other at all. So what they did is pretty much being more interested in their fights than in the lesson itself. I could do and say what I wanted, nothing helped (in addition to that Im not such a great speaker of their native language). So instead of it being a joyful happy lesson, in my view I failed. Then the second group came and it started all well, but afetr a while again 2 kids who knew each other started kicking each other and saying bad things "for fun", which later turned out to be not so unny anymore. With the result that the 2 kids got bored of the lessons and didnt participate really. So I already thought Im a total failure in this job or something, when a mother of one of the kids came and said her daughter loved it so much that she wants one on one lessons for her. That shows me that I didn �t do everything wrong, but I would really like to know how I can deal with this situation. Tomorrow is my next day and I �m scared that if I do the lessons as I have prepared them before will just result in another day like today :(

Hugs
Sara

21 Dec 2009      

silvia.patti
Italy

Try to keep the fighters far form each other...

21 Dec 2009     

shusu-euphe
Taiwan

Sad to hear such thing on your first day.

It happened to me before, I bring in a hand muppet and introduce it to my class, I told them this new friend likes well behaved children.  I also give credits to students who behave in class end of the day i will give them candy or sticker (it �s a form of encouragement).

I wonder if it will work for your class, but it always worked wonders to me.

Euphe

PS no hand muppet use doll or toy, whatever stuff you have at home.

21 Dec 2009     

zailda
Brazil

Well, the first day was a nightmare for some of us, as inexperienced teachers we didn �t to know how to manage with situations and things usually got out of control.

But we learn from experience, so you can analize what you did and got good results and what didn �t. We are all the time looking for resources because we have to adapt everything to our students � needs and you �ll only know about it after knowing them better.

It �s not your fault that the first day didn �t go in the way you idealized it, remember that it �s the first day for your students too and they may also feel anxious.

I �m sure that you �ll find activities that will keep your ss calm and interested, you just have to calm down and pay attention to students to learn as much as you can about them.

I remember that after my first day (everything went out ok so I felt really good) the director asked how things went and I told her everything went out OK. So she asked: "And how about your students?"

"Students?" - I asked. "Do you mean that besides paying attention to the topic to teach, the school methodology and dealing with a computer, a DVD and TV in class, I �m also supposed to pay attention to the students?"

It is funny now, but at that day I thought it was an impossible duty and now I just think this is the best part: the students.

21 Dec 2009     

eng789
Israel

Dear Sara,  keep your chin up and don �t let the trouble makers get to you. 
They are probably just testing you to see what they can get away with.
I �m sure you will be great and eventually all the kids will appreciate you.

Good luck with your new job.
Thumbs Up

21 Dec 2009     

zoemorosini
United States

I �m so sorry that your first day went so poorly.  If I were in your shoes, I would try to do the following:

1.  Remember it �s NOT ABOUT YOU.  Whoever is in the teacher �s position will have the same thing happen to them.

2.  Post clear rules.  If possible, have them contribute to the rules list as part of a lesson using "do" and "don �t".  They know perfectly well how to behave, but they �re not invested.  Help them think of consequences for bad behavior, combine them with your own, and stick to those consequences.

3.  Keep going back.  Don �t run!  They need consistency.  When they see you care about them enough to stay, they �ll respond to that.

4.   Keep the "bells and whistles" (super-extra-cool exercises and activities) as rewards for good behavior.  Give them basic, good instruction every day.  When they �re good, reward them with something fun, like a bingo game. 

5.  Have pencils or stickers ready as prizes for good behavior at any time.

6.  Have a chair outside the classroom door for five-minute breaks for students who �ve misbehaved.  Before they must sit there, give them a choice:  behave or time out.  Then allow them back in after 5 minutes.

7.  Call parents and introduce yourself.  The parents will tell their kids you called.  You don �t even have to say anything bad!!!  Once the students know you have their home number, they �ll be able to imagine the rest.

GOOD LUCK!!!

21 Dec 2009     

danka.michalkova
Czech Republic

It is always difficult to start with a new group:) I have been teaching at Nursing College for 5-6 years and I got used to teaching this age group but because I wanted to have an international certificate from IHCYL, I had to teach some lessons at a language school in Prague. I got two groups - one teenage boys 13-17, some girls but only a few. I was quite worried about this group and a group of children 10-12, mostly girls, a few boys - but very lively:) And it showed the age group 10-12 was a nightmare for me:) As I am used to teaching older students, they usually wait for explanation if I give them the worksheet or a game but these children were so interested in worksheets, games, counters and other things... They didn�t pay attention to my explanation... So I learnt a few new things:) You can�t give them worksheets before you explain what to do with them:) But my tutors were very patient with me and taught me a lot of new things:) The second lesson was better:) I believe your lessons will be better and better:) You will have more experience:) I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

21 Dec 2009     

ayda louhichi
Tunisia

Don �t be upset Saraa and blame yourself! You �re a great teacher! What happened is just a problem we all face in our everyday classes and we have to cope with, these are just unexpected happenings that we learn from them, Now I think you have learned what to do and how to react next time when a similar case happens. Some people think that being a teacher is a very easy job and that we are privileged as to have many holidays and a few working hours as opposed to other administrative jobs. They won �t know how difficult this job is unless they become teachers and experience it. To control a class of approximately 30 (sometimes less , sometimes more) students is not easy at all especially when they are kids. Students who fight in the class is a very special case, What I propose is to ask the the two boys to come to the board and explain to you and their classmates as well what happened between them (the reason of the conflict), engage and share the classmates in judging what the fighters did as to interrupt the course, disrespect the teachers and themselves, and that what they did is not allowed in the class and in the school in general. In such way, I think they will be more aware of the mistake they have done and they won �t repeat it again.
MErry Christmas to you

21 Dec 2009     

SaraMariam
United States

Thank you all sooo much for your encouraging words and advice; it really made my day and I feel much better about everything now:). I will try to put some of the advice in practice tomorrow. I �m sure it will go better :) Thanks again. I really love this site, whenever one needs help everybody is there. It is great to be part of this community!

Big hugs
Sara

21 Dec 2009     

silvanija
Lithuania

Hello, Sara. Do not get discouraged. Lessons that do not follow the intended plan happen to everyone and they help us to become better teachers.  Disruptive kids are also found in nearly all classes.
I think it should be difficult for kids (how old are they?) to have English 2 hours. Songs and games are good activities, but you can also give them such tasks as listen/read and colour, cut and paste, bring some related crafts to do. I have noticed that after the active part of a lesson kids like to do sth quietly on their own.

Good luck Approve

21 Dec 2009     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Hi,Sara!

Don �t feel miserable. I �m pretty sure you �ll be a great teacher, just because you are not indifferent to the situation. The lack of experience never help. You defenetly will have
successfull lessons ahead. Do what you must do. Yr collegues here have already given
you some practical advice. Follow them. I wish you all the best!

Good luck!Clap

21 Dec 2009     

1    2    Next >