Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > ABSTRACT OF MY THESIS    

ABSTRACT OF MY THESIS

tahriali
Tunisia

ABSTRACT OF MY THESIS

HI EVERYBODY. I feel honoured to share with you my �Abstract � of my thesis, looking forward to getting serious comments. N.B- This is just a concept.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The English tense/aspect system occupies a prominent place in course books and pedagogical grammars used in the EFL-context. At the same time, it constitutes a major source of errors for students at all levels of proficiency and, concomitantly, a problem facing language teachers. Several studies have shown that learners experience particular difficulties in establishing the relevant verb form-meaning associations exhibited by the target language. Students are obviously lacking that firm grasp of grammatical structures (accuracy) which are necessary for the production of well-formed utterances and texts (fluency).

This project in its present form is the result of a practitioner�s experimentation on the effects of the focus on the communicative competence at the expense of the grammatical competence on the accuracy in Tunisian learners� writing tasks. Hence, the rationale of this project is to highlight the defects of the Communicative Language Teaching Approach as far as grammatical competence is concerned in learners� writing tasks. In my present research, I will try to shed light on the elusive facet of the communicative approach applied in Tunisia and its direct effect on students� mastery of certain aspects of the English verbal system. I will delimit my research on �THE MISUSE OF TENSES�.

To carry out the study 100 third-grade students were examined in terms of linguistic strategies used by participants. The data of the study were collected through observations. The data were analyzed through descriptive and inferential statistics. The results of the study indicate that there is a significant difference between students who were subjected to direct, deductive, explanatory accuracy-oriented teaching methods and those who were not.

The data were analyzed and the conclusion was drawn that mere students� exposure to authentic tools in the control group did not improve students� mastery of using tenses compared to the high level of proficiency, though limited to tenses, within experimental groups.

27 Dec 2009      

kons
Morocco

Dear colleague,
I read your abstract and I did some modifications. If you want me to send you my abstract, plz let me know.

The English tense/aspect system occupies a prominent place in course books and pedagogical grammars used in the EFL-context. At the same time, it constitutes a major source of errors for students at all levels of proficiency and, concomitantly, a problem facing language teachers. Several studies have shown that learners experience particular difficulties in establishing the relevant verb form-meaning associations exhibited by the target language. Students are obviously lacking that firm grasp of grammatical structures (accuracy) which are necessary for the production of well-formed utterances and texts (fluency).

This project in its present form is the result of a practitioner�s experimentation on the effects of the focus on the communicative competence at the expense of the grammatical competence on the accuracy in Tunisian learners� writing tasks. Hence, the rationale of this project is to highlight the defects of the Communicative Language Teaching Approach as far as grammatical competence is concerned in learners� writing tasks. In my present research, I will try to (This research paper sheds) shed light on the elusive facet of the communicative approach applied in Tunisia and its direct effect on students� mastery of certain aspects of the English verbal system, (mainly the use of tenses) I will delimit my research on �THE MISUSE OF TENSES�.

To carry out the study, 100(one hundred) third-grade students were (are) examined in terms of linguistic strategies used by participants. (You should mention that there are two groups of Ss and  which one is exposed to the experiment and which one is not)The data of the study were (are) collected through observations. The data were (are) analyzed through descriptive and inferential statistics. The results of the study indicate that there is a significant difference between students who were (are) subjected to direct, deductive, explanatory accuracy-oriented teaching methods and those who were (are) not.

The data were analyzed and the conclusion was drawn that (The results have shown that) mere students� exposure to authentic tools in the control ( controlled) group did ( do) not improve students� mastery of using tenses compared to the high level of proficiency, though limited to tenses, within experimental groups (group).

To my knowledge, the present tense is used in the abstract. The last one-sentence paragraph is little bit long try to rephrase it. Hope my remarks are useful. Good luck.

27 Dec 2009     

tahriali
Tunisia

Thanks a lot Dear Colleague-
Is it a �must � to use the present tense in an abstract? In fact I used the simple past tense in paragraph 3 to refer to something already done- Don �t you think that the abstract should be written after all the procedures are achieved. If there is a formal layout for the abstract, please don �t hesitate to share it.

27 Dec 2009     

kons
Morocco

even if the abstract is the last thing to write in your research paper, it is the first thing to read and it gives the reader an idea about your paper as a whole. that is why it should be well written and clear. as to the use of the simple present, I think it is a norm to use it in such context. I hope other colleagues confirm this. I �ll send you my abstract in the PM.

27 Dec 2009