Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Please explain    

Please explain

dulek
Poland

Please explain

Hi Everyone.
I �ve got a question about expression I found in one of the Student Books for upper -intermediate course. The sentence goes like this: " He �s a bit on the thin side". What does it actually mean? Thanks for help

19 Jan 2010      

Lana.
Ireland

He �s a bit slim/underwight.

You can just as well use this expression in: "He �s a bit on the fat side". Or "He is a bit on the geek side".

19 Jan 2010     

tareq
Egypt

Hi, I am sorry Lana but it doesn �t actually mean this . It is an expression that means that this person �s theory or opinion is weak compared to others � fat opinion or strong theory or opinion.

19 Jan 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I agree with Lana.

You could say his argument is a bit on the thin side. I don �t think one would ever say �fat argument � in English.

In the given sentence he �s on the thin side, it means he is underweight.

19 Jan 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Without knowing the broader context the most likely interpretation relates to weight as pointed out by Lana.  When �he �s a bit on the thin side � then he is underweight or very thin. 

If something is on the thin side (i.e. it �s a bit on the thin side) then usually that thing is lacking in something e.g. a business document that is expected to be lengthier. 

In Tarakawed �s example, if there was a previous reference to the argument/theory/opinion, we could say �he is (as in his argument/opinion/theory is) a bit on the thin side �  as Apodo stated.

What is the rest of the context Dulek?

19 Jan 2010     

dulek
Poland

Thank you all. The context is about appearance so I think that you �re right it means he �s underweight, just like myself.

20 Jan 2010     

yanogator
United States

A little more explanation:

Here in the US, this expression is usually used as an understatement. Literally, it means that the person is just a little thin, because the "side" in the expression refers to one side of average on a scale. So, "a bit on the thin side" would mean a little less than average weight. However, we almost always use it as an exaggeration, so when we say, "He �s a bit on the thin side," it usually means that he �s noticeably underweight.

Bruce

21 Jan 2010