Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Size of worksheets    

Size of worksheets

vivanglais
Switzerland

Size of worksheets

Hi everybody,

I�m using Word (on a Mac computer ) to prepare my worksheets and I would like to be able to make several pages at the same time, with cliparts inside, and still be able to upload them! But my cliparts weigh too much and I always have to cut things out! I saw that some members succeed in doing four pages with many pictures. So if anybody can give me a clue about how I put my cliparts on a diet!!! I would be very happy about it!
I jump at the chance to thank all the members of this great size.
ML
Vivanglais

20 Sep 2008      

spring
Turkey

Hi Vivanglais
I used to have same problem when I was a new member.But the people in this site advised me so many good techniques.If the old forum  didn�t go off you could easily find lots of discussions and tips about this issue.
I am also using Word.Frenchfrog has a ws about using word.
Check out her ws.It is one of her most downloaded ws. Also Icha has one about a programme called publisher.I am keeping both of them on my desktop.They are really useful.
What am I doing with mine is that I am compressing pictures and sometimes I use photofilter.
Hope these tips are useful for you..

20 Sep 2008     

vivanglais
Switzerland

Hi Spring,
Thanks for your answer and help! I found this tutorial and will study it carefully!
Have a nice week-end!

20 Sep 2008     

frenchfrog
France

Hi, vivanglais!

I see you have downloaded my tutorial! Thanks!

However, the tutorial is about how to improve the presentation of one�s worksheets, not how to reduce the size of cliparts. I wanted to tell you that.

What I usually do is this: whenever you look for cliparts, type a keyword in the Google Images Search bar + add �gif� or �clipart� (I often do both and the cliparts are different). Example: �ghost gif�, �ghost clipart�. Then choose the ones that are small (under 20 ko for instance) and �copyright-free� (if possible).

On other sites, you can also have cliparts. Download them on your PC and see their size by clicking on Properties (Right click) for each.

Also: if you right click on one of the pictures in your WORD document, then click on Picture (or Format, I don�t remember), there is a button �Compress�. Choose �All the pictures in the document� and then �Web / site� for the resolution. It also reduces the size of your document.

I hope it helps!

Frenchfrog

20 Sep 2008     

spring
Turkey

Oh sorry Frenchfrog:((
I think I misguided Vivanglais.I must have mixed up the ws.
But anyway your tutorial is very effective and helped me much(still helps)
And I am glad he/she also find it helpful.
By mistake I advertise your tutorial:)))) But I am happy �cos your ws is a good guide and new members should benefit from it.

20 Sep 2008     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello,
I read you need help in reducing the size of clipart and, as you are a Mac user, I think I can give you a different suggestion. I think you must have Photoshop in your computer, so you open you clipart in Photoshop; if this is not possible,just select the image, Copy, go to photoshop, Open new doc, Paste.
Then you have two choices:
First, go to Image , then Image Size, next Resolution: if you have something higher than 72 dpi, you  can change to 72 dpi, it usually keeps enough quality.
Then you go to File / SAVE for Web, and you pick usually the second choice, on the bottom, you can see the size of your doc, and also the quality of the picture; you will see an image of 1 or 2Mg turning into 6 or 8K.
Hope you understand the explanation, but if you need a more detailed one, I can email you with some Print screens to show the different steps.
My email is [email protected]

20 Sep 2008     

frenchfrog
France

No problem, Spring! I just did not want Vivanglais to be disappointed! What Vivanglais is looking for is not really present in my worksheet, although grouping pictures (and this is explained in my tutorial!!) sometimes reduces the size!
Thanks for giving the link to my tutorial! You are right: some other members have downloaded it!Smile

Frenchfrog

20 Sep 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi, vivanglais

Go to this topic maybe you can have another solution which is "quite" what you are looking for.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=142

20 Sep 2008     

vivanglais
Switzerland

A big thank you to Frenchfrog, Olindalima and Goodnesses! Thank you for your help! I�ll try all that during the week!
Vivanglais

20 Sep 2008     

vivanglais
Switzerland

And to Spring, don�t worry, the tutorial you advised me IS helpful too! Thanks!

20 Sep 2008     

Misspola
Argentina

Hi! I had the same problem one of my worksheets even had a size of 1.2 mb!! imagine that! So I �ve recently discovered this:

right click on any image you have in your worksheet and then in the "image format" there �s a button for compressing the image. A window will pop up where you can choose to compress only that image you clicked or all of those in the document.

My worksheet is now finally only 450 k!

Just for you to know I �ve got word office 2007. I don �t know if the compress button is available in all the word programms.

29 Nov 2010