Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Limericks    

Limericks

DUSIA
Poland

Limericks

Have you ever tried to use limericks  to entertain your students? I am a great fan of this kind of poetry. Children and teenagers just love it! They are funny, easy to learn by heart (if you want your students to do it) . Ss seem just to pick up words without any effort!
        I use limericks from time to time (there are dozens of websides which offer you a wide range of limericks). I try to choose the funniest... (of course funny for me does not always mean funny for my students... Confused)  With older students I even tried to translate them into Polish but in a way that maintains rhymes and meaning. It can be a good ideas for a competition for inteligent and bright students - they can realize how hard it is to work as an interpreter or translator.
          Do you know any funny limericks that REALLY make you laugh? Do you use them sometimes?

24 Jan 2010      

DUSIA
Poland

By the way here is one of my favourites (unfortunatelly I do not know the name of the authorUnhappy). Still whoever was the author I seem to share his / her sense of humour! And the limerick goes like this:

There once was an old man of Esser,
Whose knowledge grew lesser and lesser,
It at last grew so small
He knew nothing at all,
And now he �s a college professor.

LOL

24 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

http://www.poetry-online.org/limericks.htm
http://www.link75.org/bcs/Publish%20C/bcspoetry/limerick.html

Wink
There once was a kid named Darren
Whose room was surprisingly barren
He had no toys
Like all normal boys
But he did believe in sharing

PS: thanks for the reminder... I used to use lymericks and then, for some reason, stopped... But I remember how the kids loved it, because of the rhythm, and teenagers loved making them (even as riddles)...

24 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

It would perhaps be fun, to make us laugh a bit this Sunday, if we had a bit of a competition here at ESL if anyone is up to it!? Perhaps we could invent our own lyrics, funny or not, as riddles and challenge each other into guessing... What do you think? Here �s my attempt...

THERE IS A STRANGE LADY FROM YONKERS

USING MUSIC IS HOW SHE CONQUERS.

WHEN SHE PUTS ON A SHOW

HER FANS START TO GLOW,

THOUGH SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE �S SIMPLY GONE BONKERS..

(Lady GaGa)

PS: I �ve included the solution, because I can �t stay long, but I will check out the post to see how everyone did. I hope the post gives results, because we could use a lot of this in class, and have fun...

24 Jan 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

Another one:

An exceedingly fat friend of mine,

When asked at what hour he �d dine,

Replied, "At eleven,     

At three, five, and seven,

And eight and a quarter past nine.

24 Jan 2010     

Ticas
Portugal

Catherine said: " I think I �ll bake
a most delicious chocolate cake!"
She took some mud and mixed it up
while adding water from a cup,
and then some weeds and nuts and bark
and special gravel from the park.
then she signed it "Fondly C."
and gave the whole of it to me!
I thanked her, but I wouldn �t dream
of eating cake without ice-cream!!!

Have a nice Sunday !

24 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Anaisabel, your friend reminds me of a Hobbit - having first breakfast, second breakfast, etc... Kind of reminds me of myself now, too, having a pregnancy diet of two small breakfasts, a lunch, a snack, a dinner...Wink
Ticas, thanks for joining in...
Any other people willing to write a limerick, perhaps even as a riddle???

24 Jan 2010     

sorji
Tunisia

A hungry young schoolboy called Pete

Was desperate for something to eat.

So he bought a hot dog,

But fell over a log

And dropped the hot dog in the street !

24 Jan 2010     

DUSIA
Poland

I have just written it myself... Definitely I am not a Shakespeare but maybe there is a 0,00009% of Shakespeare in me Wink

A  plumpish young lady from Cork
was really in love with her  fork
and pretty soon
she was left by her spoon
And now they all drink soups in Cork

By the way I hope that all citizens of Cork will be tolerant enough and won �t chease me with their knives...

P.S.
Anita C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S!  And do not forget about supper!

24 Jan 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

yipeeeeClap

24 Jan 2010