Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > How to Test a company "group"???    

How to Test a company "group"???

annabelle1654
Germany

How to Test a company "group"???

Hello everyone,

I hope someone can help me.  I will start teaching a group of electrical engineers in March.  I have to test them. I will be teaching technical english. My concern is only testing.  There will be about 30 participants. What  basic english test should I use to test beginners through intermediate in esl??

And then how would you go about getting them into groups. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Belles

24 Jan 2010      

newuser07
Argentina

Hi!

I�m also interested in this topic!!!!!!!!!!
As far as I know many business coursebooks offer "placement tests" for example In company. So after students take the test (maybe written& oral) you group them according to their performance. In the past not only have I taken into account their level but also their interest areas. It�s much easier since students are usually interested in vocabulary more than grammar. Of course we include grammar.... we can�t help it!

Hope it helps. Have a great weekend!

24 Jan 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

The type of test I give depends on the kind of class I am giving.  If it is a conversation class, I base my evaluation on conversational skills, and would only give an oral evaluation.   If it is a regular class I usually give both a written and oral evaluation. 

If I give an oral test, I generally start off with asking questions with the verb to be and to have. 

Questions like:
What is your name?
Can you spell it for me.
Where to you live
Do you have (pets, children)  tell me about them.

I then progress through the tenses and evaluate them on that.
Simple Present -  Give me your daily routine
Present Continuous - now and future questions (pictures)
Past - What did you do yesterday.

I go on like this until I am able to find the proper level.  If I see, a person is unable to go further I do not continue going to higher levels.

With the written test I use a placement test.
I would agree with Newuser that you can get good  placement tests from books.

When this is finished I place them into different level groups, according to the test they have taken.

24 Jan 2010