Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Special needs!    

Special needs!

cyssy
Brazil

Special needs!

Hi, everyone!
This week I was told that I have now a new class with deaf adults ( 8 students ). But in this class there are more twenty students and they listen.
I am really scared because I don �tknow how to teach english to these students who have Portuguese classes as a second language and the Brazilian signs language as their first language. English is the third language... Last year, they have only visual classes and I don �t know what I have to do... Does anybody here have any experience with deaf people??? Can you help me????  Pleaseee....

5 Feb 2010      

Sonn
Russian Federation

I have �nt worked with such students, but I �m working with a girl who has infantile cerebral paralysis. The first thing I did when I started working with her was talking to her parents and to her taechers, who teach her other subjects and even to doctors. It helped. I hope there will be people here who have already taught deaf students. But if there isn �t any, try to talk to the teachers who taught Portugese to them. Good luck. 

P.S. Have a look here, maybe you�ll find something useful there: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=361757#thetop

5 Feb 2010     

marta_marta
Poland

I �m not an expert in this field but maybe the following website could help.

EDL

Try googling "EDL - English for Deaf Learners"

Good luck!

5 Feb 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

Hi there!  I just finished taking an online course in UDL:  Universal Design for Learning that addresses the challenges you �re facing.  Do a Google search for UDL and CAST, a Boston, MA, USA area non-profit that teaches UDL techniques.

www.cast.org/research/udl/index.html
lessonbuilder.cast.org/

5 Feb 2010     

zeina monzer
Lebanon

hi cyssy,
i teach blind students but in the same institute where i work there is another section for deaf students and as i know you have to learn sign language inorder to be able to communicate with them .
also you have to stress on each letter while you are reading to let them see the outlet of each letter.

and as i know the teachers depend greatly on sign language and visiual aids in explaining the lessons . and deaf students can hardly understand abstract concepts .

i wish you luck

5 Feb 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

I think deaf students CAN understand abstract concepts, because they have them in sign language.  It �s just hard to get new ideas across when they are abstract, because sound as a medium isn �t an option.  However, illustrations can be helpful (visual aids, as mentioned above) to bridge the gap.

5 Feb 2010