Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Good English books    

Good English books

jamie_s
Thailand

Good English books

Hi everyone,

I �m looking for some English books that will be purchased and used by my school for the next school year.
My Principal has given me and my colleagues until Monday to find decent books, to use throughout the year. The problem with this is that I �ve never found any books in the past to be useful. If I �ve ever needed to teach anything or have my students practice any of the things they �ve learnt in class, I �ve always had to use worksheets. It would be nice if the students all had coursebooks that we could use from time to time instead.

Any recommendations from you on what books are useful or not useful would be much appreciated. I �ve looked on Longman, Oxford and Macmillan �s websites, but there �s too much choice and it isn �t easy to decided which books are useful.

19 Feb 2010      

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hi,
how old are your students?
I like this course book: "New  Ski", Pearson - Longman (for students aged 11 -14 ).
Students love it too.
Have a nice day!
Sabrina

19 Feb 2010     

maripa
Greece

hi,

you could have a look at the "Express Publishing" website. I like their books very much

hope it helps
Maria

19 Feb 2010     

lshorton99
China

I like the Cutting Edge series or New English File - the teacher �s books are particularly good for those series. Macmillan books are good for young learners - series like Bugs or Find Out come with huge resource packs (I mean huge - I use mine as a table in my classroom!)

Obviously it depends on the level and age of your students. English in Mind pre-intermediate is good for teenagers but not adults and I �m not so keen on their elementary book. Both Cutting Edge and English File are suitable for teens and adults although I �d say English File is a little more adult-orientated.

Contact the publishers directly and get them to send you samples. That �s what I do - I get quite a lot of free books that way!

19 Feb 2010     

jamie_s
Thailand

Hi,
The students are from grades 1 primary to 4th year high school. Thanks for your suggestions.

19 Feb 2010     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

New English File from Oxford might be a good idea.

19 Feb 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Jamie,
maybe you could have a look at the series "Solutions" - Oxford, for 11-15 or " Inside Out" - Macmillan, they are both very good.
For kids you can try " Little Bugs" and " Big Bugs" and after them " Bright Sparks" .THey go from 5 or 6 to 11 or so. They are Macmillan too and have different levels, ypu �d have to see which goes with which class.
Good luck choosing, it � s not so simple sometimes...  Smile

19 Feb 2010     

jamie_s
Thailand

Hi,
The students are from grades 1 primary to 4th year high school. Thanks for your suggestions.

19 Feb 2010