Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Homework for 6-7 year olds    

Homework for 6-7 year olds

izulia
China

Homework for 6-7 year olds

Hello dear teachers,
I would really appreciate if somebody could share their ideas on homework for the 6-7 year old students who are just beginning learning English.
I usualy send simple reading books, spellings, some fill in the gap activities and 2-3 sentences diary writing. I send homework for one night and expect it to be completed by the following morning. However I wonder if homework assignments could be more organised, e.g. into a one week homework assignments? Does anybody involve parents in some kind of project assignements with some writing/drawing about self, family favourites, home, etc.? I don �t mean that parents do homework for their children, but show some useful support.
Some teachers in our school are against sending any homework for this age students. I am not sure if this is right, but I know that my students � parents always ask for some more homework, even before holidays.
Any ideas, advice will be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!
Thank you.

20 Feb 2010      

lshorton99
China

I set homework for all levels and ages even if it is nominal, just so they get into the habit. The way you currently do it is more or less the same as me - I usually set one worksheet(activity book page and expect it for the following lesson.

I don �t normally involve parents at that age but I like your project idea!

20 Feb 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

why don �t you provide the parents a list of useful words about everyday life + translation. The kids can draw pics and the parents may help them with choosing the right words to draw...?
eg: make pictures for simple sentences - It is Monday. I am happy.
It is Tuesday. We cook. I cook. Mum cooks.
Some sort of a picture diary...?
Don �t call it a homework! Call it CREATIVE WRITING and tell your kids it is OPTIONAL, voluntary work...
Every week ask them to write about what they were good at OR what nice happened to them... eg: I swam in a deep water and I wasn �t scared. I read a book in 3 days! It was funny... I saw a big blue butterfly! I met with my old friend Miko...
useful words: ask your ss about their hobbies, what do they do every day (in their mother tongue)
family members, days of the week, hobbies, verbs - go, listen, read, watch, drink, run, write, study, learn, play, clean, help, draw, make, meet, speak, like, love, have fun, enjoy, do sport, ...

Next project - making flashcards! FCs made by students  are very cute and ss love them... Why not ask ss to make FC of the vocabulary they learnt in the last few days?

20 Feb 2010