Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > as many or as much    

as many or as much

englishchou
Tunisia

as many or as much

Please what should we say in this sentence considering the countable and the uncountable nouns:
" there are some charities that claim they need volunteers every bit as ( many / much ) as they need money to make their efforts succesful".
personally, i think that we should use much but the situation is a bit confusing when we have a countable and an uncoutable nouns to have comparative of scale and what is the rule please?. thanks in advance.Smile

21 Feb 2010      

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

You are correct. It is "much" because you are really talking about what you need. You need "this" as MUCH as you need "that."

I hope I �m not too confusing.

Carla

21 Feb 2010     

donia
Oman

Well I agree with carla much would make a sense.

21 Feb 2010     

yanogator
United States

It is definitely "much" because we are talking about the degree of need, not the volunteers or money. You clearly knew that intuitively, but didn �t realize it gramatically.

Bruce

21 Feb 2010     

englishchou
Tunisia

thank you very much 

22 Feb 2010