Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Do you see / are you seeing that boat?    

Do you see / are you seeing that boat?

Panteleimon
Greece

Do you see / are you seeing that boat?

Hi sth simple and complex
i came across a test answer of one of my student and i can �t explain
why he is wrong in writing
are you seeing that boat? It �s my father �s.
whereas the correct answer is 
do you see that boat? It �s my father �s.

22 Feb 2010      

yanogator
United States

There was a similar question last week. We generally don �t use the present continuous with the senses, except when it is more of a passive use of the sense.

I �m feeling sick.
I �m tasting some garlic in the soup.
I �m seeing spots in front of my eyes.

These are situations where the sense is happening, but "I" am not actively doing anything.

I see a boat (because I �m looking at the water).
I hear the birds.
Your bread smells very good.

These are more "solid" situations of using the senses, so they use the simple present.

I hope this helps.

Bruce

22 Feb 2010     

serene
Greece

The verb "to see" is a stative verb when it means "to see with my eyes" and it isn �t used in the continuous tenses. Instead, we can say "Can you see that boat?" 

22 Feb 2010     

Tere-arg
Argentina

You cannot use the verb "see" in a progressive/continuous form except when it means "meet"

I  would say  ...can you see that boat? althoughmI think the wy you are putting it is also used.

22 Feb 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

See is one of the verbs which don �t go with -ing and are not used in the Continuous tenses. There are cases which allow seeing, but it doesn �t have the basic meaning. Some examples have already been listed here, and here are some more.
I thought I was seeing things, as I was so tired. - meaning=imagining, halucinating
At that time she was seeing a married man. - meaning=dating, going out with

This was taken from a site I often go to for grammar rules and practice http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/presentcontinuous.html

REMEMBER Non-Continuous Verbs/ Mixed Verbs

It is important to remember that Non-Continuous Verbs cannot be used in any continuous tenses. Also, certain non-continuous meanings for Mixed Verbs cannot be used in continuous tenses. Instead of using Present Continuous with these verbs, you must use Simple Present.

Examples:

• She is loving this chocolate ice cream. Not Correct
  • She loves this chocolate ice cream. Correct

22 Feb 2010     

Panteleimon
Greece

thanks it helped

22 Feb 2010     

kmtr
United States

Occasionally "see" is used in continuous, but for emphasis right in the moment-- for example  "Are you seeing what I �m seeing?" -- emphasizing something really surprising or shocking that is currently occurring before your eyes.   

It seems that this way isn �t really "correct", but it is common usage.

22 Feb 2010