Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Suggestions of activities to start the year!!1    

Suggestions of activities to start the year!!1

regina. di
Brazil

Suggestions of activities to start the year!!1

Hello everyone!!

I �m an English teacher in Brazil and I �m going to start teaching at a new school next week. I �d like to ask you all for suggestions of songs, activities, games, etc, that I can use for the first classes. I have some, but I really want to use something new and nice. The groups are from 4 to 7 years old. I really like starting the class with a song, finish it with another, having a game, and so on. I know there are some really creative people that could give me and other teachers some hints here.

Thanks in advance!!!
XOXOXO

26 Feb 2010      

Angie70
Germany

Hello Regina,

I lead a children �s choir with kids aged 4-8 approximately. We sing English songs as well. Very important for kids this age group is that they can respond physically...means sing and move / do something at the same time. My kids love singing "If you �re happy and you know it...."  and they love singing " head & shoulders, knees and toes"  These are classical children �s songs. Guess you will find them on the net when you google them. Any sort of nursery rhyme might also work well.

Enjoy your kids
Angie

26 Feb 2010     

lapaoiza
Argentina

Hi there! What I do is to choose a character (dog, cat, or anyone you like) and introduce it, making the children draw or paint it... and of course, add lots of songs and dance...

Try looking for Super Simple Songs in youtube. They are a great group of people working esl, with amazing ideas with songs they perform.
DON�T MISS IT!

I hope you find it useful and gook luck!!

La Pao

26 Feb 2010     

martiarenap
Argentina

Hi Regina!!!

A great song that works for me every time is FIVE GREEN AND SPECKLED FROGS, yo have to jump and mime all the movements of the frogs. They love it!!!

Good luck

Pilar

27 Feb 2010     

Ratu
Argentina

Hey lapaoiza thanks for sharing the Super Simple Songs!!! I found them on youtube and I loved them! I �m going to use some of them with my 4-year-olds this year!!Big smile

Thanksssssss!
Kisses
Ale

27 Feb 2010     

regina. di
Brazil

Thanks for the ideas!!! If someone has ideas for games too, they are welcome!!!
Kiss kiss

27 Feb 2010     

izulia
China

I reinforce classroom rules with the old Simon says game with a twist for my 6-7 year olds. Once your students know the classroom rules play Simon Says game but let them know that Simon sometimes says wrong things, so they have to listen carefully and respond accordingly, e.g.
Teacher: Simon says: Listen to your teacher.
Students (shout out together): Yes, that �s right!
Teacher: Simon Says: Push each other.
Students: (shout out together): No, that �s wrong! (They can shake their index finger to show it �s wrong)
Simon can say really funny things, make your students giggle. Finish it with Simon says: Sit down beautifully and listen to (teacher �s name)
I play this game for the first few minutes of the lesson just to remind them how to behave in class.

One colleague of mine who teaches primary students put a huge selection of classroom games on this site. He is absolutely brilliant at using language, maths games in the classroom. You �ll have to sign up for free to access this file.

Have you tried www.genkienglish.com ? There are lots of games, songs and lesson plans.
Good luck :)

27 Feb 2010     

regina. di
Brazil

Thanks!! It �s always nice to have some ideas from other teachers. Sharing is really important in our profession. Kiss kiss

27 Feb 2010     

wind01
Turkey

Hi there

İf we think very well activities, WE can creat a new activities . Good work !!!

2 Mar 2010