Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > conditional type o    

conditional type o

kons
Morocco

conditional type o

Dear colleagues,
I �ve got a question:
Is conditional type 0 frequently used by native speakers in their daily use of English?I �m asking to see if it �s worth teaching it to our students.
Have a nice day

9 Mar 2010      

vareste
Turkey

I think it is also used with facts for example;

�If you heat the water, it boils �
   �If it doesnt rain, life ends. �

9 Mar 2010     

kons
Morocco

In fact, this is not what I meant. i know its use and form. I just want to know if such conditional sentences are used by native speakers in their eveyday language.

9 Mar 2010     

vareste
Turkey

Ok i am sorry.
I just wanted to inform you that this type is essential for english usage

9 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

As far as I know zero conditional is indeed used by native speakers every day, for example with statements like the one vareste provided: �if you heat water, it boils at 100 degrees centigrade. �

I find your statement a bit strange actually: �I �m asking to see if it �s worth teaching it to our students. �

Our ss won �t always speak to native speakers only!! Of course it will be worth teaching the zero conditional no matter who your ss will talk to later. ;))

9 Mar 2010     

kons
Morocco

thanks for this clarification dear topolina.

9 Mar 2010     

Zora
Canada

The zero conditional is, perhaps, one of the most used of the three (four?) conditionals by native speakers!! It �s the most natural of the forms because it �s used for facts, greetings or commands.

If you see Tom, say hi.
If you have a headache, take an aspirin.
Hide if you see Dad... he �s in a bad mood.
If you spread the bread with butter first, the sandwich tastes better.
The dog always barks if he hears my sister �s voice. 

9 Mar 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

"If you treat him with respect, he responds well."
"If she needs help, she asks."
"Children play for hours if you give them the chance."

These are all examples of zero conditional I have used just over the last couple of days.

Zoe Morosini

9 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

Native speakers even use the 0 conditional when it isn �t appropriate. It is very common for a friend to say, "If I don �t see you, have a nice weekend." I like to respond with, "So, if you do see me, I should have a bad weekend?"

Another common situation for that mistake is in restaurants. The server will say, "If you need anything, my name is John." I answer, "Oh, what �s your name if I don �t need anything?"

So, yes, it is very common in everyday speech.

Bruce

9 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

LOLOLOLOLOL

Bruce, I wish you had been my English teacher!! I really had a very good one (he �s English), but if I had had you, I would have had sooooo much more fun!

9 Mar 2010     

yanogator
United States

Thank you, Topolina. I like to make my students laugh. I always teach advanced students interesting things about my language, especially common mistakes.

Bruce

10 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >