Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > The pronunciation of "THE".    

The pronunciation of "THE".

LittleFatMan
Japan

The pronunciation of "THE".

What are the rules regarding the correct pronunciation of the word "the"?

I work at a junior high school in Japan, and I have found that Japanese students are taught that "the" is pronounced "thee" at certain times (if the following word begins with a vowel) and "the" at other times (if the following word begins with a consonant).

I am from the US and have never heard of these rules before! Can someone help me clear this up?

Thanks!

Alan

10 Mar 2010      

yanogator
United States

You �re almost right, Alan. It �s the sound of the following word, not the letter, that determines the pronunciation of "the."

Thee before a vowel sound
The apple
The other one
The hour (silent "h", so the first sound is a vowel)

thƏ before a consonant sound

thƏ paper

ThƏ Once and Future King  (The first sound of "once" is "w")

Bruce

10 Mar 2010     

donapeter
Romania

we also use THEE when we want to stress a certain world , to highlight its meaning.
For example: THEE man , when we want to stress that the MAN is someone important we refer to.

I also agree with yanogator. 

10 Mar 2010     

anahutten
Canada

This is also because of  LINKING!

When the next word starts with a vowel, speakers have a tendency to lenghen the final e and link it to the following vowel, almost like it �s the same word, no pause.

theeapple

But you make a short pause when the next word starts with a consonant.

the book.

LINKING is the hardest thing for students to understand, because in class they usually see and study the words separately, but native speakers link all the time!

There �s a great book about it. It �s Whaddaya say? by Nina Weinstein.

10 Mar 2010