Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Gymkhana in English IDEAS PLEASE!    

Gymkhana in English IDEAS PLEASE!

merywell
Spain

Gymkhana in English IDEAS PLEASE!

Hi everybody, I�m thinking about the idea of doing a "gymkhana" in English with my students who are between 9 and 12 years old. I have been thinking about differents sort of activities like: tongue twisters, rhymes, different types of races (with chairs, with ballons), culture questions but I�d like more ideas and suggestions. We can�t go out of the playground so we have a limitated space although huge enough.

If you have done something similar and you want to share ideas LET ME KNOW PLEASE!!

Star  Maria Star

15 Mar 2010      

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I do Olympics in summer in groups  which are good fun although individuals players take turns:

ABC game:
I have a list of 3 letter words

at the far end of the yard each team has a set of alphabet cards laid out on the floor or table
teams line up
I say a letter eg R

the first member of each team runs gets the letter and brings it back to their team.  The first one back gets a point. That person goes to the back of their team.

Then we repeat with C and A
When the team have the 3 cards they have to make a word for an extra point, in this case CAR.

Its fast and fun.  You can do it with only one set of alphabet cards but I found it gets a bit violent.

Another is to put a line for balloons for each team.  In each balloon the is a sentence cut up into words.  The first team member runs to the first balloon, has to burst it without using hands, collect the words, bring them back to the team, they write the complete sentence for a point. 

15 Mar 2010