Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Conversation classes    

Conversation classes

SaraMariam
United States

Conversation classes

Once again I �m turning to you with a question, this time about conversation classes. I have a new student who urgently needs to do conversation. She can read and understand extremely well, but when it comes to speaking she can �t even make one sentence, the practice is completely missing. 
So since it would be my first time to do a complete course based on only conversation, I was wondering how you are handling such classes. Do you follow a special line or just choose topics that come to your mind, but don �t really have anything to do with each other, do you use texts or just start talking? I would really appriciate every single advice I could get Thanks a millioin in advance

HUgs
Sara

16 Mar 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

I guess for her it would help if you started with a text which both you and she would read for next time and then talk about it - since her English is great but she hasn �t done speaking, give her time to prepare, so as not to be shy. What also helps a lot is using speaking cards on various topics (soooooooooo many at ESL printables) and pictures to describe.

16 Mar 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I sent you a PM.

16 Mar 2010     

cocoloty
Spain

Hello Sara,

I found myself in that same situation a few months ago with a new student. Here �s the activities I �ve come up with so far:

1. Always start your classes asking your student routine questions such as "how are you?" "how was your weekend?" "Do you have any plans for the long weekend?"... That �s always a good way to warm up. 

2. Compare, contrast and cooperation activities:

- Find a set of pictures (in google images for instance) regarding a particular topic. I started with TV. I got 4 pictures showing: a famous reality show, a talk show, cartoons and documentaries (all of them portraying people.)

- Write a list of useful vocabulary and expressions to pre-teach. You should also pre-teach expressions to express contrast such as:
"in this picture we can see.... whereas in the other"
"on one hand... on the other hand"
"in this picture there are.... while on these other 3 there are..."

- Then ask your student to compare and contrast these pictures for about 3 minutes. The idea is to point out the similarities and differences between the 4.

- Once this is done, ask a question that requires a personal opinion such as "Out of these 4, which program do you like best?" (pre-teach personal opinion expressions if necessary)

- Finally, do a collaborative task, in which you have to decide between the two something. In this case the collaborative task was to decide how we would schedule these programs if we were in charge of a TV station. 

3. Discussion activities are fun. The more extreme the more your student will feel the need to talk. Try for instance an activity in which you have to decide in which European country you are going to drop a meteorite, an atomic bomb, a plague�

4. Try starting with a thought provoking reading. A shocking current affairs article on a newspaper maybe. Then pose some questions for discussion. This works best with small groups, but it�s good for student-teacher interaction too.

5. Keep in mind that student tend to prefer to talk about nothing and everything. So, the longer you can keep small talk (without forcing it) the better.

Good Luck and tell me if you find something else that works (I�ve only been one month doing this so, I could use some tips myself) Next Friday I�m going to try to perform a dialogue from a play and see how that works =D  

Regards, Teresa.

16 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Try this dear Sara, it �s good: http://www.headsupenglish.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=10&id=38&Itemid=96

:))

16 Mar 2010     

ditaadityaputri
Indonesia

As my experience I always start my class by modeling a text, conversation or role play.
For example the topic is "likes"
1. Asking Students prior � knowledge
"what is your hobby?"
2. Modeling
"I like watching movies in my leisure time. I like it because it �s fun. i like watching movies in the cinema with my family".
3. Reviewing
"What do I like? Why do I like it? Where do I usually watch movies?"
4. Asking Ss � likes
"what do you like to do in your leisure time?"
"Why do you like it?"
"Where do you usually do that?"
5. Working in pairs
Let students work with their friends asking each other using the questions. Before you let them work, practice their pronunciation in saying the questions.
6. Whole-class
Asking all Ss to ask each S in the class, still with the questions.
7. Presentation.
If they are ready ask them to tell about what they like in front of their friends. I think they will have been ready because they have practice it many times with their friends.

That �s what i always do in my class: modeling-practicing-presentation. All Ss can get involved and speak well.

Hope it can help you. 

16 Mar 2010     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Topolina, thanks for the link.

16 Mar 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

Thanks a lot for all your great advice!! It really helped me a lot! You are just great!

16 Mar 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

It �s difficult for a English student to produce out of the blue.  They need some directions.  Perhaps a topic that they can think about, then express their ideas.  I have a conversation class with some lady engineers, now they are very diciplined and do what I ask.  I usually set them reserch homework on the topic that we are going to talk about on the next lesson.  It is good to include, reading,listening and writing as well as conversation activities.  It helps them organize their thoughts.  Here are some links of sites I use for my classes.  Good Luck, I hope this helps.

http://iteslj.org/questions/ (conversation questions by topic)
http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/ (over 1000 complete lesson plans for conversation classes:listening, speaking, writing and reading activities per topic by Sean Banville)
http://www.eslholidaylessons.com/index.html (over 1000 complete lesson plans for conversation classes:listening, speaking, writing and reading activities per topic by Sean Banville)

Xx
Elida

16 Mar 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

Forgot to mention.  If you can get your hands on "OPEN FORUM" text books and audio (editorial:Oxford University Press) They are also a great source for conversation classes.  They also have extra exercises on line that you can down load.

Xx
Elida

16 Mar 2010     

savvinka
Russian Federation

Hi, Elida,
  Thank you very much yr refs. very useful!!!

16 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >