Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Reader? - HELP NEEDED    

Reader? - HELP NEEDED

alisadedic
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Reader? - HELP NEEDED

I �m planning to give my students a book to read (Sherlock Holmes, The case of a blue diamond, Oxford, Dominoes reader). Any ideas on how to start, or how to do it in class?

Alisa

17 Mar 2010      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Hi. I did that two years ago.   Use the front of the book and get them to predict the suspects. After that, pre-teach the vocab and then do some word games like finding certain words on the pages you will read or give them clues to find words in the text.   Since I can do voices, I read the story using different British accents. It was a lot of fun.

17 Mar 2010     

angelcris
Brazil

Alisa,

I can �t answer specifically for this reader but I �ll tell you about my experience. Whenever I choose a reader for my students, the first thing I do is to compare the adapted text (abridged) to the original one.If the story is very much different from the original one, I don �t use it.
The secod thing I do is to think about why I intend to work with the book. Is it just to make them read in the target language or do I have a specific project in mind? Depending on the reader you can work with ethic values, plan a project for a specific topic.
How long do you want to work with it? Will you use it in class? Will you evaluate the reading with a formal test or not? Is there a screen adaptation for the text?
Those are the questions to answer when to think about using a reader.
Write me if you have the answers, give more details.
Cheers!
�ngela Cristina

17 Mar 2010     

alisadedic
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Angela,
My idea was to give them a book to read at home, than use it for a speaking class to practice retelling a story using past simple tense and then for general comprehension (test). And later maybe to do a project (solving a case).  That is pretty much it. I just need the way how to do it. 

17 Mar 2010     

alisadedic
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Thanks Spagman63, nice ideas.

17 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

And after you �ve done what Spagman suggested (which is really good advice)
You might want to show the  film.

Granada television has made a fantastic series starring Jeremy Brett.
He is fabulous as Sherlock Holmes.
You can read more about it at IMDB  (the internet movie data base)

Good luck
L

17 Mar 2010     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Blue diamond

http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.com/pdf/elt/products/domtestblue.pdf

http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.com/pdf/elt/products/domansblue.pdf             

17 Mar 2010     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

LB,