Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Confused about board games!    

Confused about board games!

Rebs
Spain

Confused about board games!

A while ago I lost a template of a board game I love playing in class related to gerunds and infinitives; so I have made my own using the same idea, its a very simple game with one word in a square and the students have to make gramatically correct sentances using a gerund or infinitive that follows that particular verb.
Im concerned about uploading it as the game is not my original idea (like snakes and ladders) but the work is.
I just wanted some advice on what to do as i love this site and don �t want to make the mistake of being banned!

Thanks in advance Embarrassed

17 Mar 2010      

almaz
United Kingdom

Rebs, I�m sure you know that board games are as old as the human need to play - no one has exclusive rights to the concept. It �s only the individual designer�s imagination that makes them different, and since you were using a template (a board with 64 squares/circles/spaces, for example?) which can be modified, edited and generally played around with, well, I don �t see a problem as long as it �s not a direct rip-off of someone else�s work.
What strikes me as sinister here, though, is the obvious worry you have of being �banned �. We �re seeing too many threads from otherwise creative people who seem to be so petrified about not doing the �right thing �, about upsetting the self-appointed site guardians (whoever they are), that, in many cases, they�d rather do nothing. I get this constant, nagging feeling that too many people seem to be walking on eggshells before - and after - they decide to upload their work.  Does anyone else feel this?

17 Mar 2010