Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Is this too difficult for children who are learning prepositions of place?    

Is this too difficult for children who are learning prepositions of place?

blunderbuster
Germany

Is this too difficult for children who are learning prepositions of place?

Removed the pic @22:19

26 Mar 2010      

Begogzp
Mexico

I think is ok some months ago I gave this class with some pictures but taking about where are the mice? a nice activity for them
Bego�a

26 Mar 2010     

izulia
China

I normally teach �among � a little bit later, after teaching in, on, under, next to, near, in front of, behind and between. Young children find it a bit hard to understand the concept of �among � from my experience. I also wouldn �t choose the word �hydrant � when introducing prepositions for the kids, but it depends on how old the children are of course.
Best of luck :)

26 Mar 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi,

Thanks, Bego�a and Izulia! Well, I guess that card "among" could be left out then. Is the word "hydrant" really a problem? Don �t most languages use exactly the same or a similar word?

Kind regards
Regina

26 Mar 2010     

juliag
Japan

Hi Regina,

Hope I can help, too. Love your drawings by the way.

Well, I �ve been living in Japan for over 10 years now and I �m still not sure what the word for hydrant is!! So maybe it �s just a word that isn �t used so often, which would make it less suitable for teaching kids I feel.

When teaching kids prepositions of place I tend to use words that I know they will encounter in their everday lives and be familiar with, so, for example:

classroom objects: board, wastebasket, desk, chair, pencil case etc.
house objects: sofa, armchair, bed, table, lamp etc.
nature objects: tree, flower(s), lake, mountain etc.
other objects that they may be familiar with: car, hat and other clothing, various stationery. and so on.

Hope it �s useful for you. Have a great weekend.
Yours
Julia

26 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Why shouldn �t we have our ss learn a word which they would usually not know at such an early stage? I wouldn �t delete the words "hydrant" and "among", why?? Just imagine how proud kids are when they are able to surprise their parents with something new and especially a word that their parents have to look up in a dictionary!! Big smile

26 Mar 2010     

Pinky Makus
Canada

I love them.  I can �t wait to download them.

Pinky

26 Mar 2010     

stexstme
France

@"topolina" : ...because having them use a sentence like �the cat is next to the chair � is a lot of work - already...If the new words are prepositions, no need to add more with words they do not know ( eg Hydrant ), or else, they �ll be lost...& it is not our aim, is it ? I agree with juliag on that point.Learning/teaching  prepositions seems easy, but it is not : For example, �on the left/ right � is always is problem! Same with behind & in front of : Some kids don �t see the difference...esp on a piece of paper. They can actually guess what is behind or in front of them, but on a sheet it �s a different matter!
Maybe I �m a little biased because I teach Special Needs........which I love doing.
Once, a class of 11-year-old ones was taught that a man was a human being because he actually could move, & a book was an object because it couldn �t  either move or think...( not adding details : I �m tired ie : end of week!!!!!) Then, they came up to me & told me a bike was a human being because it could move... :o)))) ( they obviously did not keep the thinking bit ;o)
Sylvie
To blunderburster : If you do not mind, I �d say your pic is too big ...

26 Mar 2010     

janeausten8
Germany

Hey Regina,

Are the cards for elementary school students (because you said very young students)?
If the preposition "among" is not in their vocab unit or grammar guide  I wouldn �t use it, but I think "hydrant" is fine. That way most of them will even learn the German word  as I �m pretty sure most of them have never heard it beforeWink

Sch�ne Ferien (if they haven �t already started for you)!!

26 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Keep to the box -
over (the box)
under,
next to (or beside)
in,
behind,
in front of
above
between

Among is too advanced.

26 Mar 2010     

refis24
United Kingdom

Hi

I have taught this lesson to an Entry 1 class.  The way I taught it was to have a box wrapped in wrapping paper.  I put the present on the table, under the table and next to the table etc.  It worked well and I was able to elicit most of the vocab from the students.

Good luck.

26 Mar 2010     

1    2    Next >