Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > technology in the classroom    

technology in the classroom

celia86
Argentina

technology in the classroom

Hi dear teachers!
I was surfing the net and found this video, I think it �s food for thought, what do you think?

kissesThumbs Up

27 Mar 2010      

olaola
Italy

I have seen the video and I think technology is important nowadays and teachers should use it but we must not forget that it is the " human touch" that teachers give to their students the most important thing of all... otherwise students could learn directly from computers, no need of teachers!!!!!!!

27 Mar 2010     

RabbitWho
Czech Republic

I �m sure people had the same worries when they were first presented with blackboards and chalk. The funny thing is that was the last technological advance made in a classroom and that was when... ancient Greece? (guessing)
We don �t even use the abacus any more!

Computers are just tools, just like chalk and boards and papers and pens.
A good teacher will teach a good lesson, computers can help them do that just as a book can or a photocopier.

27 Mar 2010     

lshorton99
China

I don �t think you see enough abaci in language teaching nowadays. Let �s be post-modern and bring them back!

My school introduced interactive whiteboards 18 months ago and for the most part it �s great. The students love activities on the board, rearranging words etc. So in that sense I agree with the video in that connecting to students via a means they understand is a good thing.

However, I do think that teachers can come to rely on the technology and forget how to teach without it. I remember one of my DELTA lessons a little over a year ago and I �d planned a couple of things on our shiny new boards. I got to work a couple of hours early to set up only to discover that there had been a fire in the electrics (our boards our new, our building �s not!) and there was no technology. Cue hysterics on my part and a valuable lesson learned!

Truthfully, I don �t think there was much difference in how my students learned and enjoyed themselves between the latest technology I �ve been using for a while now and summer school last year, giving a class with only a blackboard in the room.

My point is that it �s not the tools, it �s the teacher and newer may not necessarily be better.

Personally, I say bring back the cane...

27 Mar 2010     

dturner
Canada

Ouch.  I can feel the sting.  I agree with you, but on the other hand, I teach refugees who have no reference to things I �m trying to talk about.  I use my computer and projector constantly to show them images.  If I was back in the book days only I would not have the resources at my fingertips.  In terms of technology, it �s only good when it works.  How many times have you been at a presentation or lesson when something has gone wrong, or something so simple like the extension cord is not long enough.  Uggghhhh.

28 Mar 2010