Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > More Clear Rules    

More Clear Rules

PaulG
Costa Rica

More Clear Rules

Hello. I would like to make a suggestion about the rules. Today one of my worksheets was reported. When it happened, I had no idea why. When I asked about it, I was told that it was because it had a watermark, and I didn �t even know that because I don �t know very much about pictures, so I didn �t know what a watermark is. My suggestion is that when rules are made, be a little more clear. For example, maybe you can write something like this: Worksheets containing watermarked cliparts (here you can write a brief explanation of what watermarked cliparts are) are not allowed and will be removed from now on.
This way there can be fewer misunderstandings.
It �s only a suggestion. If you don �t like, I �m nobody to say anything. But if you do like it, please let me know.

31 Mar 2010      

PaulG
Costa Rica

Sorry, there �s a typpo there at the end. I meant to say, If you don �t like it, I �m nobody...

31 Mar 2010     

PaulG
Costa Rica

Sorry, another typpo. Clearer, not more clear. Sorry about all these mistakes. I �m very stressed out right now, and I make mistakes when I �m stressed out...

31 Mar 2010     

juliag
Japan

Hi PaulG

Firstly, don �t worry so much - everything will be okaySmile.
Secondly, nobody is nobody. In a community like this we all have an important contribution to make, so please don �t be so hard on yourself or put yourself down so much.

As to the rules - I think you �re probably right it would be clearer if there was an explanation or, even better, a picture of what a watermarked image looks like. However, I also know this question has been asked in the forum before, so maybe you could have found out by putting "watermarked images" in the search box in the forum page or, for example, typing it google search engine and so on. Especially in the case of the site rules, it is always very important to clarify the words/phrases we don �t know.

As to your other questions - if the worksheet is deleted, yes you  will lose the points. But you may be given the option of updating the worksheet with unwatermarked pictures. I �m not sure as I �m not a moderator. Even if it deleted all you have to do is replace the images and upload it again and I �m sure you will get your points again.

As to your query about any other "punishments." I don �t believe that the reporting system is meant to make us feel punished. It �s just a way of helping us all to follow the rules. The only worksheets, as far as I know, that are "punished" in some way are those that are copies of other people �s work. Once you have 3 copies reported, your account is  automatically frozen for review by the owner of the site, Victor. As your work is all your own you will, of course, not have this problem so I don �t think you need to worry so much.

Hope you can chill out and have a nice day.
Julia

31 Mar 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Victor wrote under the menu about rules: �

Worksheets containing watermarked cliparts are not allowed and will be removed from now on.

Cliparts with watermarks are to insure that no one steals or uses them without buying or having permission.  Free clip arts have no watermarks.

31 Mar 2010     

douglas
United States

Unfortunately, this also means we can no longer use Philip Martin �s wonderfulclip art.  It is "free for educational use", but it contains a watermark (as I understand what is intended here with the word "watermark").   They actually contain a copyright note, not a true watermark.   Am I correct?  No longer being a moderator, I am not privy to the discussions anymore.

Douglas

31 Mar 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Douglas, if those images you �re talking about don �t contain a watermark, you can still use them I suppose. When there �s only a short writing on them which names the copyright owner, why shouldn �t we use them? You even give credit to the copyright holder automatically. ;)

31 Mar 2010