Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "Yet" in perfect tenses    

"Yet" in perfect tenses

hongduyen
Vietnam

"Yet" in perfect tenses

Hi colleagues,

I �m a bit embarrassed when someone used the following question, so please tell me if this one is OK.
" Haven �t you done your homework yet?"
For I �ve only used the question : "Have you done your homework yet?" instead. Thank you in advance.

31 Mar 2010      

douglas
United States

Both are correct, the first one has a more "hurrying" negative connotation.  The second is more polite and neutral.

31 Mar 2010     

anaram
Spain

Douglas is right. Apart from that, The negative sentence may not be a real question but a rhetorical one: "I know you haven �t done your homework and I �m not pleased with that". In the affirmative case, it �s a real question "I don �t know if you have done your homework or not. I just want the information; I �m not expressing any feelings.

31 Mar 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

"Haven �t done your homework yet?"  means "I really don �t want to embarrass you by asking directly because you might not have done it and then I �ll have to get upset with you and I want to avoid confrontation. If I say it this way you will agree with me and I won �t look like a nasty teacher."

My students get very confused with the answers for these implied negative tag questions but they really are extremely common, especially in situations where the speaker is not 100% sure of their circumstances.

The problem for poor students is that as a native speaker I find that we pepper our conversations all the time with these kind of statements to be polite.

eg "You �re not going to the party, are you?" meaning "I hope you are but I don �t want to make a fool of myself in case you think the party is not cool." "I want to fit in with the crowd."

"You �re not going out with Bob, are you?"
"You don �t drink beer, do you?"

Confused?
I �m not surprised!!!!!

31 Mar 2010