Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Some grammar questions    

Some grammar questions

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Some grammar questions

Hi.
Help me to answer correctly, please.

1) Put the verbs into the correct tense form.
George ... (recently record) an album which ... (become) very popular.
Maybe - has recently recorded, becomes. But a person wrote about George �s last concert and everything was in the past. Than may it be - had recently recorded ,became?

2) Rewrite the sentence into the Passive.

Have you any idea who directed the film?
Is it - Have you any idea whom the film was directed by? (or without whom?)

Thanks!!!

7 Apr 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

1)
In that context (all the verbs in the narrative are in the simple past): George had recently recorded an album which became very popular.

2)
Have you got any idea by whom the film was directed? (BE) or Do you have any idea by whom the film was directed? (AE)

7 Apr 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

1.  George has recently recorded an album which is becoming very popular.

2.  Do you have any idea who the film was directed by?  (more casual--don �t use "whom" and then end with a preposition...it �s like wearing a tuxedo jacket with swim trunks!  Sounds/looks awful!)

7 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

1. George recently recorded an album which has become very popular. If his concert was in the past then I would imagine he recorded the �popular � album after the concert and it �s a past action with present result. However, any number of tenses are possible and without seeing the entire context it would be impossible to give a definitive answer!

Have you any idea who the film was directed by? or Have you any idea by whom the film was directed? (very formal) (The sentence to be changed uses �Have � rather than �have got � or �Do you have � so I �d keep it the same.)

7 Apr 2010     

anaram
Spain

I agree with Zoemorosini. 1.1.present perfect because of "recently", then present continuous. There is no past context 

7 Apr 2010     

Alyona C.
Ukraine

Thanks!

7 Apr 2010