Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Difference between TO HAVE and TO HAVE GOT    

Difference between TO HAVE and TO HAVE GOT

mifacas
Portugal

Difference between TO HAVE and TO HAVE GOT

Hi everyone

can someone explain me what is the difference between have and have got. And why do we say

I HAVEN �T GOT a car.

and

I DON �T HAVE a car.

Please help

Thanks

Alex

12 Apr 2010      

rmouh
Morocco

As far as I know: I �ve got is American English whereas I have is British� English. the same� goes with the negative forms.

12 Apr 2010     

texasesl
United States

We use both forms in American English. There is no difference at all in meaning if you follow the verb with a noun. I �ve got a headache. I have a headache. They mean exactly the same thing.

If you follow the verb with an infinitive (in other words, have or have got is used as a modal), then the form with "got" sounds more urgent. "I have got to study" sounds more urgent than "I have to study."

12 Apr 2010     

teresapr
Portugal

While both forms are correct (and accepted in both British and American English), have got (have you got, he hasn �t got, etc.) is generally the preferred form in British English while most speakers of American English employ the have (do you have, he doesn �t have etc.)

12 Apr 2010     

crisholm
Spain

Another important difference is that �have got � is normally used just in the present tense; you use �have � for the other tenses.
Then again, �have � is used for general possession �I have  a house in the country �, while �have got � is more like �I am carrying this on me � (have you got a pen?) and also for circumstancial facts �I �ve got an appointment with the dentist �.
Hope it is useful - there must be loads of materials on it, but this is just what I can remember on the spur of the moment.

12 Apr 2010