Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Rephrasing    

Rephrasing

Aldegunde
Spain

Rephrasing

Hi everybody!
 I need your help. I have been doing a rephrasing exercise online and there are two sentences that I always get wrong, the problem is that the programme does not say how it should be to be considered right.
 These are the sentences:
1-I had better go to the dentist �s soon
-It �s ..... 

(I �ve tried with "it �s time, it �s high time, it �s about time..." but it �s not considered the right answer)
2-It makes no difference if the play is full booked,
    we will still try to get a ticket

-  We will still try and get a ticket ...

Any ideas? Thanks  in advance.

15 Apr 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

1 - Did you write "It �s time I went to the dentist �s " ? Nothing else comes to my mind !
2 - ... even if the play is fully booked / although the play is fully booked.
         What do you think ?

15 Apr 2010     

Aldegunde
Spain

Thanks for your suggestions, but I �ve already tried those possibilities and though I know they �re right, there must be other suitable answers because the online correction does not consider them to be the right ones.

15 Apr 2010     

kodora
Greece

Maybe you could try:
1-It �s wise /urgent/imperative for me to go to the dentist �s soon
2-No matter how fully booked the play may be, we will still try to get a ticket.
I hope I �ve helped you!

15 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

Can you provide the link to the site - maybe by experimenting there we can figure out the correct answers for you!

15 Apr 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Good idea, Lindsey! I �d like to try, too!! 

15 Apr 2010     

Aldegunde
Spain

I �ll try those options. The site is http://www.englishjet.com/english_courses_files/tests.htm test level 7.
Thanks for your answers.

15 Apr 2010     

Ximenne
Armenia

Have you tried these again just in case?

1-I had better go to the dentist �s soon
- It �s high time I went to the dentist soon.

2-It makes no difference if the play is full booked,
    we will still try to get a ticket

-  We will still try and get a ticket even though we know play is full booked.  

Good luck!

15 Apr 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

As the second sentence has a typo (full instead of fully), perhaps you should try typing an incorrect answer!

15 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

We will still try and get a ticket even if the play is fully booked - is the correct answer to the second one. I �m still working on the first!

BTW - I hate you a little Aldegunde! I got 19 out of 25 the first time so I �m now spending ridiculous amounts of time trying to figure out which ones I got wrong! My shame is compounded by being a native speaker and long time teacher of CAE!

15 Apr 2010     

Aldegunde
Spain

I �m sorry! (je-je).It �s quite challenging, isn �t it? the problem is that it does not let you know which ones are wrong, so what I did was to write one sentence and check, another sentence and check and so on. In that way I could figure out which ones I had got wrong. 

16 Apr 2010     

1    2    Next >