Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Is it correct to say..?    

Is it correct to say..?

steph30
France

Is it correct to say..?

Hi!
Is it correct to say "what about the flag n�2?" , a French stick instead of a baguette ?
Thanks ;)

21 Nov 2008      

Zora
Canada

Yes, you can say "what about the flag n�2?" but not a French stick when refering to a baguette. Also, baguette is used in English so I�d just say "baguette".

21 Nov 2008     

steph30
France

I�m sorry, but is it completely wrong to say French stick or is it just uncommon?

22 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

Completely wrong. It doesn�t convey that meaning at all.

22 Nov 2008     

steph30
France

ok, so what does it mean?

22 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

A piece of wood or a branch that is from France...

22 Nov 2008     

kaz76
United Kingdom

We use French stick in the UK to mean a baguette and it�s very common so you could use that instead

22 Nov 2008     

steph30
France

Thanks a lot!! I was inspected last Thursday and the inspector told me that this word didn�t exist.
And is it wrong to say "what about the flag number 2? I was showing a flag on a document...

22 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

Sorry, but in Canada (where I am from... the western part ... as I saw Giovanni who is from the east and said it was correct) .. we say "French Bread Stick" .... I was talking to my sister and she goes... "Well, Bread Stick yes... but stick... no..."

And "the" flag is incorrect.. "flag" number two is correct...

Also, if your inspector is being that picky, I think that he�s being... sorry, for saying this... "a bit of a jerk"... If you made big mistakes like, "the car blue..." or "the boy looks fun" or "I am boring" instead of bored... I�d be worried but saying "french stick", when in fact, in some places it is correct is taking things a big too seriously...

24 Nov 2008