Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > lesson plans     

lesson plans

Ms. Fadia
Palestine

lesson plans

Hi,

I need someone to provide me with some ideas to present a lesson to 7th graders using the eclectic approach.

thanx in advance

Fadia

22 Apr 2010      

marcella8161
Italy

Hi,

I think we all use it, without knowing that we are using it. It involves all the senses and the different kind of memories. Using all the approaches integrating them together, we have the eclectic approach. The students have different kind of intelligence: Linguistic, Spatial, Bodily-kinesthetic, Interpersonal, Intrapersonal, Logical-mathematic, Musical, Naturalist ...

So, if you stimulates the different kind of intelligence, you will authomatically use those different approaches. Picture, humor, movement , sounds (songs and rythm...), all in one lesson... it helps and stimulate the different kind of intelligences. Total Physical Response etc...
See something at the British Council web site.
Hope I gave you some ideas

22 Apr 2010     

lshorton99
China

Eclecticism is the idea of combining a variety of approaches - communicative, direct, silent way, grammar translation etc and taking from each approach what works for you. It is not actually an approach in and of itself - more a way of �picking and choosing � how you want to teach. You might do some drilling from the audio-lingual approach combined with the use of relaxing music from suggestopaedia and follow it up with some communication activities. You could also, as marcella suggested, incorporate some of the multiple intelligence approach to teaching and learning.

Most teachers use eclecticism without realising it. Principled eclecticism is when you knowingly choose certain styles and activities and I imagine is what you want to do with your class. Think about your students and what you know works with them and what doesn �t. You can then choose the most suitable activities for them. Would they benefit from drills? Do you think that the whole lesson should be in English or would some translation help them? Do they enjoy and learn from information gaps or jigsaw activities?

Hope that helps!

Lindsey

22 Apr 2010