Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > saxon genitive for authors    

saxon genitive for authors

peiolei
Spain

saxon genitive for authors

Hi everyone, I have a doubt regarding how to write an author �s title. For example, I don �t know if the correct form is "Dan Brown �s book" or "Dan Brown book", because it is not the book that Dan Brown owns, but the book written by him, but I �m not sure.
Could you help me?
Thanks in advance,
Paola

26 Apr 2010      

5puravida5
Costa Rica

Hello Paola, "Dan Brown �s book" is the correct way to describe an author �s book. It does show possession...it is his book. It doesn �t matter if he owns a copy or not although I �m sure he has several copies. :)
Just to confuse things a bit, it is possible that someone might say, "The Dan Brown book is a best seller." But I �m sure you are really asking about the possessive which would be Dan Brown �s book.
Cheryl

26 Apr 2010     

teresapr
Portugal

I agree: Dan Brown �s books - possession

26 Apr 2010     

dturner
Canada

Or...... as spuravida5 states you can set up your sentence like this,  In the Dan Brown book, we learn that the protagonist,,,,,,,,

27 Apr 2010