Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Your pages are too nice.    

Your pages are too nice.

bow wow
Israel

Your pages are too nice.

Your pages are too nice.  You put too much effort into making them beautiful.

Then I have to remove all the shading and borders and shrink or remove pictures because we photocopy them in black and white.

It takes me hours to down-grade your beautiful pages.  

How about some black and white minimally decorated pages?   

Photocopying coloured pages make the text hard to read. 

Also, a lot of times I have to put 2 pages on one because the amount of material is minimal on  a page (not MINIMAL QUALITY - MINIMAL AMOUNT OF TEXT).

Do you actually photocopy / print your pages in color for your pupils??????????????

Also  can we add a catagory called "unseens"  -  these are reading comprehension exercises for testing pupils� ability to understand different text types.

22 Nov 2008      

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

Dear Barb. I do believe students get more enthusiastic about the material when it�s fully ilustrated. Students in general are very "visual" learners, so pictures do help them, I photocopy them in black and white. There�s no need to change into it, just copy as it comes.

22 Nov 2008     

nanaduhalde
Argentina

Dear Barb. I understand your point of view but I also believe it�s a matter of style. Each of us has a unique way of working and creating material, and that�s great. I myself mostly use black and white material because I can only make black and white copies. And so as to save money, I try to put as much info on one page as possible. I know that maybe people don�t download my worksheets as much as I would like because they don�t have many colors and stuff, but it�s the way I work, and I really do my best. I have to agree with Cristiane as well, because I do what she does, and it�s a pitty because the workshhets don�t look so nice when you print them in B and W, but there�s nothing I can do about this.
             I wish you all a great weekend. Mariana

22 Nov 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

I completly agree with you Barb L, it takes a lot of time removing pictures, borders, and everything from a ws. What�s more, sometimes the layout is altered when changing the ws a lot. But I have seen that teachers feel more attracted to colour scale ws than to green scale ones.

You may also have noticed that borders or pictures added to an ordinary exercise, makes the difference. Nevertheless, as I usually work with adults, I tend to download plain wss.

What about uploading both versions of the same ws? I mean, teachers usually take an exercise and then add some pictures and borders. What about uploading both files? (separately or together)

22 Nov 2008     

puddyd
Oman

As ss are visual learners it is sometimes a good idea to print one large colour copy onto A3 or copy and paste it onto a publisher doc and stretch it over two page to make a big colour poster or beam the colour copy up onto the screen if you have a pc in the class . You can then use the colour version to pre-teach the instructions and then they know what the black and white copy is all about and there�ll be no need to remove the borders etc...An idea Wink

22 Nov 2008     

bow wow
Israel

Thanks Damielle

I�m so glad to hear that I�m not the only one with this problem.  I spend hours revising work pages.

I agree with what Damielle said, "What about uploading both versions of the same ws?    I mean, teachers usually take an exercise and then add some pictures and borders. What about uploading both files? (separately or together)".

I think it�s a great idea.

22 Nov 2008     

bow wow
Israel

Sorry,  I don�t know why my "Book recommendaton page" went through twice.

22 Nov 2008     

bow wow
Israel

You guys must be teaching private students or very very small classes if you are talking about colour copies.  I know all about learning styles but when photocopying is on a buget and most classes are close to 40 pupils including on the average 5-8 pupils with learning disabilities etc.  in a class,  color is not an option. 

22 Nov 2008     

bow wow
Israel

Can we add a catagory called "unseens"  -  these are reading comprehension exercises for testing pupils� ability to understand different text types.

I really need texts with marking schemes. 

They can include multiple choice questions, open questions, clozes (fill in the missing words), sentence completions, flow charts, cause and effect, what does the word _them__ refer to, give your opinion, what is the message,  write a letter to..., etc..   

I work with esl  grades 7-9 all levels.

We also have kids that are "non-readers" in grade 7 that come to us without having learned to read.
I could use some stuff for them also.

I know I�m being a bit demanding but it�s only out of frustration.

I love teaching but I would like to see my kids improving more quickly.

22 Nov 2008     

ClaraDuarte
Portugal

Hi, everybody.

I am not teaching English this school year, but my elementary students (9 to 10 years-old) last year absolutely loved the black and white work sheets with drawings that I have compiled for them. They would always colour the drawings after completing the sheet, and were very proud of their art work.

Would this work with your students, Barb?

26 Nov 2008     

eng789
Israel

That sounds like a great idea.   Thanks

29 Nov 2008