Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Probably + present continuous    

Probably + present continuous

Marcsi85
Hungary

Probably + present continuous

Hello everyone!

I came across this sentence in a language exam test: I �m probably learning history next year. 
How can I use PROBABLY with present continuous? Is it correct? As fas as I know if we want to express something that is not sure we have to use WILL or MIGHT for future. What do you think?

Thanks for your reply!

Mary

15 May 2010      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Mary,
It sounds a little informal, but we definitely use it. Of course, we use the present continuous with a future meaning (I �m going to a movie later today), so if it isn �t definite, but probable, we use "probably" with it.

As you said, the more usual way to say it is "I �ll probably study history next year". Sometimes that seems too formal for casual speech, so a student would say "I �m probably taking history next year".

We �re probably going to the beach later today.
I �m probably having eggs for breakfast.
She �s probably doing her homework after dinner.

There �s definitely an informal sound to these sentences, but they sound natural.

I hope this helps,
Bruce

15 May 2010     

Babs1966
France

I agree with Bruce explanation ;) and like you I would use Will or might and as might indicates something being probable ==> PROBABLY fits in your sentence but BE is missing.
I would write : I �ll probably BE learning history next year. 

I hope I didn �t bring mor confusion,
Babs

15 May 2010     

redcamarocruiser
United States

To me they sound normal and not especially informal.

15 May 2010     

[email protected]
United Kingdom

Hello Mary,

There �s nothing wrong with the sentence �I �m probably learning history next year. � You are using the present continuous (...ing) together with a time marker (next year) for future use. The word �probably � is not giving this sentence its future meaning. There are many other variants too, such as �certainly �, �definitely �, �possibly � etc, and these words simply state the degree of certainty.  

15 May 2010     

Mo3tamad
Bahrain

Thumbs Up

10 Jun 2010