Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Since a fortnight ago - correct?    

Since a fortnight ago - correct?

Ewcik
Poland

Since a fortnight ago - correct?

I �ve found in my exercise book a phrase "a fortnight ago". The task is to insert "for" or "since" before the phrase. I �ve never encountered either combination. Is it possible to say "since a fortnight ago"? It looks so weird to me :/ I would say either "a fortnight ago" or "for a fortnight"

17 May 2010      

licatri
Chile

A FORTNIGHT IS AN AMOUNT OF TIME, LIKE TWO WEEKS...SO IT �S SIMILAR TO SAY TWO WEEKS AGO...BUT NOT SINCE TWO WEEKS AGO.
A FORTNIGHT AGO OR FOR A FORTNIGHT WOULD BE THE CORRECT ANSWER

17 May 2010     

juliag
Japan

As a native speaker I would say "since a fortnight ago" and from these google results it looks like it �s an accepted phrase:

Hope it helps.
Good night.

17 May 2010     

Ewcik
Poland

Thanks. It helps a lot Smile

17 May 2010     

yanogator
United States

I agree that "since a fortnight ago" sounds correct, but "for a fortnight" means the same thing and it already sounds correct to you.

Oh, I just realized that you were asking about an exercise you say, so my comment really doesn�t matter.

Bruce

17 May 2010     

arkel
Ireland

I �m also a native speaker and would NEVER say since a fortnight ago. I agree with licatri.

17 May 2010     

alien boy
Japan

Okay.... what does �since � mean? If you use it with a time reference (e.g. �since a fortnight ago �) it will refer to a change in circumstance that occurred at the explicit time �a fortnight ago �

Example: I �ve only been teaching at this school since a fortnight ago.

Many native speakers would say: I �ve only been teaching at this school for the last fortnight.

The difference being that in the example it would mean that you have been teaching somewhere else prior to a fortnight ago. In the second example it may mean that you haven �t been teaching anywhere else before a fortnight ago.

I would admit, though, that it isn �t a commonly heard construction using �fortnight � where I �m from.

Cheers,
AB

26 May 2010