Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > food or foods?    

food or foods?

Pachy
Spain

food or foods?

Hi, everyone!

I �ve just come across with a sentence in the English class book I work with which has made me feel a little bit confused. It says

"My favourite foods are eggs and salad"

I �ve always said and read "My favourite food is eggs and salad" (well to be honest, I prefer spaghetti but that �s another matter! LOL)

Isn �t the word "food" uncountable? except for things such as: frozen foods or, maybe when you talk about foods from different countries, shouldn �t it always be singular? or does it depend on what you write afterwards?:

My favourite food is salad and eggs   or My favourite foods are eggs and salad...

It sounds so strange to me...

Can anybody help me?

Thanks a million!!

20 May 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hello Pachy, I �d say "my favourite food is ..." too! or if plural, my favourite meals are ... but I wouldn �t really know why it is so or if maybe "foods" is ok !  Can anybody explain ?!
Thank you for both of us !!

20 May 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

When it refers to many you can use foods.  The top 3 exported foods of the country are peanuts, apples and pears.  You can use food when it refers to a lot of or much.  We eat a lot of food.

20 May 2010     

Zora
Canada

Giovanni is right. It can be both - singular or plural.  Smile

20 May 2010     

Pachy
Spain

Thank you, Giovanni and Zora. I �ve just seen your answers and I understand the use of "foods" in the example you mention, but do you say "My favourite foods are..."? That �s what I had never seen before till yesterday. I �ve always said "My favourite food is salad and eggs", no matter whether I mention one type of food or more.

Let �s see if you read this message and you kindly come answer me. I would be really grateful! and I �m sure Aliciapc would be grateful too!

Thanks anyway for taking your time to solve my doubts!

20 May 2010