Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > evaluate.    

evaluate.

cristinacarre
Spain

evaluate.

Hello, I am teaching english just two years ago.

My students are beginners,
I need know how to evaluate.
which items and also how to give the marks.
I dont know how do it.

How I can give marks to my ss.

how evaluate a worksheet and how evaluate all the process.

thanks a lot.

25 May 2010      

L. habach
Morocco

You should test what you teach. I advise you to use multiple-choice exercises for beginners.

25 May 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

It depends on a lot of factors. hasan is right about tests - the only way to evaluate officially and to have measurable data. It also depends on the school your work for and their policies, the age and knowledge level of your sts - you say they are beginners, but there �s a big difference in evaluating e. g. kids who are 7 years old or adults. You have to know what you have taught and practised and then test it and then give points for answers. Then you make a scale for your points: e. g. 60% is a pass (D), 70% is good (C), 80% is very good (B) and 90% is excellent(A). This can be done with tests which are very easily graded, esp if it �s a multiple choice. As for speaking, you should perhaps grade pronunciation, vocabulary use, grammar and general fluency. With compositions (although beginners don �t usually have these) or essays, you should look at content (if it covers the given task), use of vocabulary, grammar and spelling and overall impression (including format). The final grade for a term should be the average of all these. It would help if you consulted some of your school colleagues as well. The basic idea is very simple - if your sts know half of what they were taught, they pass. If they know a bit more, they �re good. If they are rather competent in their usage, that �s very good. If they make almost no mistakes in what they were taught, that �s excellent.

25 May 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

Anita and Hasan have made some great suggestions that could help you out.

I �d like to add that a lot of times teachers look for the "negative" aspects when correcting and not the positive ones and often mark these too "harshly"(at least in my opinion... ) and that can be very demotivating for a student.

For example:

Take this sentence:

1. John doesn �t buys bread on Tuesday. - here many teachers, that I have had the pleasure (NOT) of knowing, would mark the sentence totally wrong; not taking into account that the student has identified the tense and it �s usage correctly. The "s" at the end of "buy" is not that big of a deal since it could have been nerves or the student was in a rush, etc. I personally would underline that part of the sentence and take something off but not say that the whole sentence is wrong.

Marking can be a very delicate thing and you often need to look at what you are marking and "see" what the error is, where it �s coming from and why it is there. Sometimes black and white ideals - i.e. : it �s either right or wrong - is a bad way to mark. Weaker students find this immensely demotivating and often get a "why bother" attitude if after all their hard work, a teacher can �t even take the time to consider what they have done.

25 May 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

great example, Zora

25 May 2010     

banska bystrica
Slovakia

Hello everybody,

I agree with the aforementioned advice, I �m not going to repeat them, but I �d like to emphasize that what is important is the type of school and its curriculum, too. Last year I taught at a grammar school, which is focused on English, so that is why I had to be more strict than at another kind of grammar school, when evaluating...I had to follow the specific criteria of this school, so I would be careful with relaying on generalizations (but they are useful to start with).  The whole process of evaluating also depends on each class.. You should state your criteria according to the best and worst students within each class.... Your grade scale should be divided into their skills and abilities...

Concerning correcting essays, I agree with Zora. I might add that to avoid demotivating my students I never use a red pen for correcting, I try to use a green, violet or pink one, just to feel them better when they first look at the correction (I, as a child, I was quite scared when I saw my mistakes underlined in red....I just felt, gosh, this is such a biiig mistakes....and I have biiiiiig mistakes everywhere:) And I always add a verbal evaluation and motivation for the future, something like "I see you have been improving, keep it up" or "Try to pay more attention to prepositions, but I do appreciate your vocabulary, good job!" and so on..... Student �s motivation is so fragile, so I work hard to support it and not to break it.... of course, there must be some limits, because we cannot flatter them for anything, otherwise they would get used to itWink

zuzana

25 May 2010     

kodora
Greece

when I evaluate my students especially beginners I do not rely only on the marks they get when they write tests.I evaluate their whole performance in class which concerns their participation, if they come to class prepared or not, if they have learning disabilities or there are serious problems at home.At the beginning of the school year I try to get to know them well and define what I expect from them to do.So the mark I give is the overall impression of each one of them according to their abilities and needs. 

25 May 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

In our school we don �t have tests nor grades. I do of course check their written work but do not attach a grade. I loved zora �s remark about emphasizing the positive. I believe the biggest barrier in learning a new language is self confidence so we want to build that, not tear it apart.
In our school we need to evaluate the students performance explicitely twice a year. the students have to complete some pages about their own performance (their progress in english as well as ther general attitude (as kodora also mentioned). We, as teachers then relate to what they wrote and add our own insights (of course we do not always agree with what the student wrote about him/herself) In our school this is something kids go thru ever since first grade and the great thing is that they learn to really look at themselves as students. It is wonderful to see how well they often see what they need to work on, where they are strong and what they can do to improve (both discipline-wise as academically)
If you are interested, I �ve uploaded several of the evaluation pages for different levels here over time. At the moment I am preparing the evaluation pages for this year �s end.
For teachers it is an enormous amount of work (you can �t just calculate the average of the grades they got throughout the year) you need to really sit and think of each students performance as a whole, the processes he �s been thru. It is a crazy, hectic time but it does give you a real sense of involvement in each student.

25 May 2010     

raquelgil
Spain

Basically what they have been doing during the whole year, not just what they have done on a simple test. Remember to evaluate if they have advanced, if they have developed the basic competencies.

25 May 2010