Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > DOWNLOADING     

DOWNLOADING

jannabanna
France

DOWNLOADING

I just wanted to say that it �s a pity people only download printables and ppts that have lots of colours and pictures.  Good interactive exercises are, after all, what our students need.  I �ve noticed that if I put a title on the first page instead of an image it doesn �t get downloaded as much.  Just a thought.

30 May 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi Jannabanna,

I agree with you.

Regards

30 May 2010     

elfelena
Russian Federation

Yes, sometimes good worksheets are overlooked because they don �t have bright pictures

30 May 2010     

lshorton99
China

Why does it have to be either/or? Can we not upload attractive worksheets which our students like better which also have good exercises? I know those are the kind I download the most.

I �ve noticed that if I give my students a simple worksheet with exercises and no pictures they complain instantly. A worksheet with almost identical exercises but also containing images and colour gets a much more positive response.

I don �t think points here are important and I wish people would stop complaining about them. What matters is what helps are students to learn. I �m sorry if you feel disgruntled about it but the fact is, students respond better to more visually interesting worksheets.

Lindsey

30 May 2010     

Akanah
Spain

Good interactive exercises are, after all, what our students need. Not totally right from  my POV. Different children, different ages, different needs... For my 7 years old pupils a plain wss would be soooooo boring. Visual impact is needed, just take a look at any coursebook. The amount of pictures depends on the age of the kids, of course. And yes, sometimes there are too many pics :S
Regards from the Sun Coast,
Olga

30 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Lindsey, I agree with you, too, however, I have noticed something interesting: I received quite a few comments for ws that did not receive many downloads (an average ws gets 1 comment per 10 downloads, a special/creative ws gets 2+ comments per 10 downloads)  and that makes me think. I guess some people do take the time and look at what they download and some don�t. I don �t mind, that is just how it is and we cannot force people to want something and we shouldn �t take it personal. I am glad that, apparently, some people found my work very useful and cared to tell me.

But I do think that every now and then it is good to remind people of things, as jannabanna did. One could see jannabanna�s posting as a reminder for ws creators as well ;o) Fact is that the first few hours online determine a printable �s fate....it would be interesting to analyze this from a psychological point of view.

For some people the points seem to be important simply because they need them and these seem to be the people that complain about not getting enough points. I guess not everyone here shares for the sake of sharing..the reasons why people upload ws would be an interesting research topic as well ;o)

Regards

30 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I just have a little over a thousand points but it �s more than enough for me. Even so, I keep uploading - although my ws are the kind which get few points - because I prepare them for my classes every week and they are there,  to be used for anybody if they suit their needs... so it �s ok for me if only 5 or 6 people use my ws , if they think they �re ok, so I give back what I download from them and helps me work in class ...

30 May 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

(I like colourful wss, my sts love them, but only if the content is suitable and useful, although I too only print colourful wss at home when I can, so my sts usually get them as a special prize or I project the colourful version on the wall as I �m blessed with a projector in the classroom.)
But, let me share something I did several times here. I usually upload wss and projects with a colourful cover, and make the rest with very little colour, easily printable in grayscale. This way I myself can organise my wss better because the visual component of my wss and projects helps me memorise contents better. However, sometimes I upload wss without this cover. Regardless of the cover, I always really try to make quality wss and their content is not better if they have a colourful cover. As you may guess - the ones with the colourful cover certainly get a lot more downloads than the ones without it. I even deleted some of my first, simple wss, (made them only a bit better) and added a colourful cover and they got a looooooooooooooooot more downloads than before. I know many of you are bothered by this, and I agree that some people use far too much colour in their wss and cram things together in the tiniest fonts possible. However, I claim that we are all visual creatures and in the ocean of wonderful printables, it �s the colour that catches our eye, before we check the content.
I don �t think anyone does it on purpose... it �s beyond our control...

30 May 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

You �re right Anita, besides, I think many ws here are downloaded before people even check the content, which may or may not be good, but because the ws catch their eye. And some just download without checking them out because of who the author is - at least I do sometimes ! We know some members � work here is always great ...

30 May 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

You have made your point very well, Anita!

30 May 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I teach to younger ones and yes, I �m one of those who download colourful printables. My students prefer them. What is wrong with that? I don �t complain because some worksheets are plain. I let people download what they want or need.

This site is unique because of the diversity of people and printables. We should be happy for that instead. I don �t know any other school subjects that have a website like this.

Happy Sunday!

30 May 2010     

1    2    Next >