Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Doubt about worksheet ´s sources -2    

Doubt about worksheet ´s sources -2

maria da rosa
Brazil

Doubt about worksheet ´s sources -2

Doubt about worksheet �s sources

Please members,
 I really would like your opinion about this. If you create a worksheet about a famous person it �s wrong if you use information from the net( born, city,birthyday,friends , age and etc)? Aren �t they public? Specially if you write the sources.I �m not talking about copy because in my opinion you can find this kind od information anywhere (tv,radio,computer, books and magazines),as public information.
I �m asking because sometimes I think that moderators could be more flexible!
If you agree or not with me, I wait for your opinion.

Thanks you all!

30 May 2010      

mena22
Portugal

Hi Maria da Rosa! There �s nothing wrong in using information from the net, a book, a magazine, a newspaper... whatever. However, there must be some of your own work in that worksheet.

I think I know which worksheets you �re referring to. The information was almost an exact copy from wikipedia and then there were a lot of lines for students to write based on that information. There was no personal work. The idea was interesting though.

How could you add your own work? For example, you could write yourself a paragraph using the information, ask questions about it and then use another fact file to make students write a parallel text. That would be extremely helpful and it would certainly be your own work. To make it more simple and with the focus only in writing skills, you could use one of the fact files to make a paragraph with blank spaces for students to complete and then they could write a similar text with information from another fact file.

Hope I could help.
Hugs,
mena

30 May 2010     

maria da rosa
Brazil

Thanks,I �ve changed now!

30 May 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I agree with Mena! 
It �s important to read information and then edit and adapt it to our students. Most information written in Language 1 is too difficult for  our students - information written on, for example, Wikipedia is written for English speaking countries.

30 May 2010