Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Motivation with advanced learners    

Motivation with advanced learners

silviamvdeo
Uruguay

Motivation with advanced learners

Dear all,

Since this is my first forum post, I �d like to congratulate the managers for starting and maintaining such a wonderful site and all the teachers around the world for their wonderful work!!!

Now down to business, I teach advanced levels at Secondary schools and Language Schools and for the last couple of years I �ve noticed a decline in sts motivation specially after reaching their FCE, they feel that is more than enough and we have to literally battle with them to get them to work specially at CAE courses.

I �ve wondered ever since if this is something exclusive of our Uruguayan system or is teachers in other countries have noticed this too.

Love to hear from all of you, what experinces you �ve had on the matter and which tips you can share with us!

Lots of love from Uruguay!

Silvia

31 May 2010      

simos
Morocco

Go to:http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/intranet/committees/FacDevCom/guidebk/teachtip/motiv.htm
good luck

31 May 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

The higher the level students have reached, the slower their progress becomes and the more difficult it gets for students to �see � this progress. Try to reassure them to although they might think they �re not learning anything anymore, they actually do. Getting a higher score an a CAE, TOEFL or IELTS test requires intensive study and by motivating themselves they �ll be able to achieve a higher score. Good luck.

31 May 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

One thing I like to do when this problem occurs is to give them sentences with a lot of slang. Try a hip hop song..that �ll get them!

Or I give them expressions where a word is used with a different meaning to the one they know.  (perhaps it is used as a verb instead of a noun, or vice versa)

This helps them to realize that "the more you know, the more you realize how little you know"!

Another thing is to show them a video clip or a listening or a newspaper article designed for native speakers and see how they cope.

Cheers Joy

31 May 2010     

verybouncyperson
Spain

Use as much authentic English as possible to really improve their fluency.  You should be able to watch or listen to news articles on the BBC website, or watch TV programmes without subtitles.  It �s a great way for them to learn new vocabulary as well and can lead to a lot of discussion.

T :)
Views from the Whiteboard

1 Jun 2010