Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > the ways for teaching the alphabets.    

the ways for teaching the alphabets.

elham_elah
Iran

the ways for teaching the alphabets.

Hello dear collegues,

Actually,i need some help about teaching the alphabts.

I want to know the different ways for teaching the alphabet specially A and B,the first letters.

l �ll be so thankful if you give me some help.

Thank you indeed.

5 Jun 2010      

Bahrain
Bahrain

i think drawings and symbols ,story is the best way to teaCH THEM ALPHAPET, WHEN I WAS A STUDENT IN UNVERSITY I HAD DONE A STORY ESPECIALLY FOR CHILDREN TO LEARN ALPHAPET, AND I USE PICTURES M I GOT THE IDEA FROM THE LINE OF WRITING THE ALPHAPET,

IWISH I HELP U

5 Jun 2010     

Babs1966
France

Depending on the age of your student, you can always teach them
THE ALPHABET SONG

I like it very much and kids learn it easily

Hope you �ll have fun teaching the alphabet Wink

Best thougts Babs

I found an other that teaches also the sound when you pronounce the letters

And here a phonic funny one !!! LOL

And the typical one

5 Jun 2010     

fifey
United Kingdom

I must admit to teaching both written and spoken together. This encourages good sound patterns, and also helps to understand the difference between lower and upper case. I always do extra work on short and long vowels as so many students find the short �i � and short �e � hard to distinguish between. Alphabet mazes are great as extra homework. They just encourage memory skills.
I would also have visual representation on the wall of the classroom, and refer to it often. The visual aspect really helps with memorizing the letters. Finally, i would ensure that the letters were formed correctly, so i wouldn �t have to come back over to point out mistakes. All in all, good alphabet learning is important. It �s the foundation in any language. Phonics, phonemes all vital, and should be used to encourage a good understanding.
One little trick i have used repeatedly is to ask learners to put their most difficult letters on their fridge. The average person enters their fridge at least 5-6 times daily. Each time they open the fridge the letter is on the door, and is drilled automatically. It works, try it.

5 Jun 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

I agree with babs - the alphabet song is absolutely the best way to memorize it. I also play lots of games such as the hangman, alphabet race, flashcard games...My students also like signing letters with their hands. My trick is calling difficult letters such as H or Y �traps �, so they feel like overcoming a challenge - I tell them it �s a trap the English people have put into their alphabet long ago to turn their alphabet into a secret code, so only the ones who know these traps can really be said to know English well. My kids feel like little pirates when they learn those letters - you should see their smug little faces, as if they �re saying �and they thought we couldn �t handle it...(btw, I also have a nice rhyme about it, but will pm to avoid self-promoting...)

5 Jun 2010     

elham_elah
Iran

Thanks a lot dear collegues.

You all helped me a lot.

Thanks for your help.Hug

5 Jun 2010     

Noemi2
Spain

I sometimes spell the names of famous people, characters or cartoons, which is easier and more fun for students to guess than just spelling any word. I also classify the letters according to the vowel sound: for example, b, c and d would be in the same group.

5 Jun 2010