Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Statistic on or statistic about ? Prepositions not clear. I would need your help.    

Statistic on or statistic about ? Prepositions not clear. I would need your help.

simplifyyourteaching
Austria

Statistic on or statistic about ? Prepositions not clear. I would need your help.

Hello everybody!

First of all, I just love this page and I have to mention it again and again. It �s such a great idea and I am really grateful for all your work.

I am currently working on my Matura Exam questions and I need some help:

Is this correct?:

"Explain the statistic ABOUT / ON / or even OF US American kids and compare it to your own watching habits"?

It �s a speaking exam and with the help of visuals the student should be able to answer questions about TV & VIOLENCE.

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Yours,#

simplifyyourteaching

16 Jun 2010      

Nebal
Lebanon

Hello dear collegue,

I would say, "Explain the statistic ABOUT /ON  US American kids and compare it to your own watching habits."

I think �about" and "on" are correct.

Let �s wait for more responses.

Best wishes,
Nebal

16 Jun 2010     

simplifyyourteaching
Austria

Thank you, Nebal!

16 Jun 2010     

Baadache
Canada

Hi,

I agree with nebal, but - ON- is more appropriate in your sentence.

16 Jun 2010     

kodora
Greece

I think it should be:Explain the statistics for the watching habits  of American children and compare them to your own ones.
I hope I �ve helped you
Dora

16 Jun 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

Well, yes, Kodora, you are absolutely right.

The two sides of comparison should be: the watching habits of American children ( not the children themselves) & the watching habits of the students.

A good point, Kodora.

Nebal

16 Jun 2010     

simplifyyourteaching
Austria

You have helped me a lot! Thanks to everybody. 

16 Jun 2010     

yanogator
United States

I would use "about" most naturally, and I might use "on". "For" doesn �t sound natural to me.

Sorry to add to the confusion.

Bruce

16 Jun 2010     

dturner
Canada

I �m with Yanogator.  We would naturally say the statistic about.  Sometimes we say on.  Explain the statistics found about lice on wild salmon. Explain the statistics found on lice, on wild salmon.   Don �t use US American kids together as US and American mean the same thing.  

17 Jun 2010     

douglas
United States

Sorry, but on this one I would go with "on"

and I could also see "for" being used, "Here are the statistics for your research project."

17 Jun 2010     

Zora
Canada

Actually the question to me sounds funny and unnatural. I �d probably say something along the lines of "Using the following stastics, explain and then compare the (TV) watching habits of American kids to those in your country."

And voil�! The nasty preposition has disappeared! LOL

17 Jun 2010