Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Past Perfect    

Past Perfect

vicky_v
Croatia

Past Perfect

I cannot comprehend why past perfect is used in this sentence! Please help!
While one of their transport planes was flying over the Aral Sea, a cow on the plane �d gone mad and the pilot had thrown it out into the sea!
Due to the word while I�d normally use past simple ...a cow on the plane went mad and the pilot threw it out into the sea!

25 Nov 2008      

freddie
Canada

I agree Vicky. It isn�t correct. A typo maybe?

25 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

It definately is a typo and I think that, personally, it was meant to read as "the pilot had to throw it out into the sea" .

25 Nov 2008     

vicky_v
Croatia

Actually, it�s a sentence taken out from an exercise in Opportunities Intermediate (Longman) and it�s definitely not a typo. I was trying to find some similar examples and I came across this:

One or two listeners had fallen asleep while the President was speaking. (Collins)
Workers had cut through an electrical cable while they were digging. (Macmillan)

I must admit that I�d never use while + past continuous + past perfect and I still cannot make a connection.

So, what actually happened while the President was speaking? I assume - nothing! One or two speakers had fallen asleep before the speech. Or not? I�m completely puzzled!

25 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

Vicky, it is a typo. - trust me -.. the Past Perfect is used to designate the first thing that happen in the past - the order of events that things happened in...  And in your example:  the cow went crazy first and then it was thrown out, not the other way around. Also, never assume that what you read or see in a book is correct just because it�s in print. Books are edited by people and people make mistakes.

Cheers,
Linda

25 Nov 2008     

crisholm
Spain

I suppose it�s because the incident is being retold - and the speaker has decided to simplify the past perfect continuous into a past continuous, so as not to sound overburdened with tenses. The sense it has is �they had already fallen asleep while the P. went on speaking� (a completed action while another one is still going on). Using the past perfect emphasizes the idea that the incident is being explained, not directly told. Probably the main action (simple past as main narrative tense) lies elsewhere and all this is part of its context.

25 Nov 2008     

vicky_v
Croatia

The sentence was part of a larger text which also exists on a CD, so I was convinced that it wasn�t a typo. Thank you all for being so helpful:)

26 Nov 2008