Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Help me , please!    

Help me , please!

virginiamaria
Argentina

Help me , please!

hi everybody!. I �ve got a doubt and I would like you to help me... Is it correct to say: My favourite pet is the dog or my favourite pet is a dog??
 Thanks in advance!Big smile

5 Jul 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Why don �t you make it easier by saying "dogs are my favourite pets"?? ;) What I would also say is this: "my favourite pets are dogs".

5 Jul 2010     

missgvsyou
Iran

In my opinion it depends on the context. If you are having a conversation about favorite pets in general and you can choose any pet in the world then you would say: My favorite pet is a dog or my favorite pets are dogs. However, lets say you are talking about 2 pets that you have in your home, a dog or a cat. THEN you can say my favorite pet is the dog because there is only one specific dog in that option. Hope this helps!

~Christi

5 Jul 2010     

cyan78
Spain

Yes, i think that it depends on the context. 

5 Jul 2010     

teachergisele
Brazil

As some colleagues said before it depends on the context. Usually the definite article is used to specify something or when something has been mentioned before.
The indefinte article is used when you do not want or need to specify something or when you mean something in general.

In the sentence you presented above I think that DOGS ARE MY FAVORITE PETS or MY FAVORITE PET IS A DOG are the best options because you mean dogs in general, any dogs!

Hope this helps you!

Hugs,

Gisele 

5 Jul 2010