Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > How to warn our colleagues?    

How to warn our colleagues?

unforgiven
Turkey

How to warn our colleagues?

I sometimes come across worksheets full of mistakes.I think we should warn eachother.For example I came across a worksheet under the name of                     " MY FRIEND " today.It �s really full of mistakes and I don �t think it can be a material for us to use.To me we have to check our worksheets carefully before uploading them and we �d better warn eachother if we come across that kinds of worksheets!

Best regards..

10 Jul 2010      

procei
Brazil

Well, I think this subject can bring a "big discution" (in a positive way). I know that there are some worksheets with mistakes...so, before I use it I check everything...I also know that some members try to advice about THEIR (own) mistakes when they realise them, however we only know who upload our papers when the member left a "thanks"...most of us don�t do it, of course they use the forum to advice about mistakes (that�s on my point of view sometimes sounds like a advertising) .... but the better way is to send a pm, I left a message telling people to feel free to send me a pm when found a mistake ... and the most important thing... this site holds teacher of all level of English... I also have serious problem with collocation and the use of preposition...and since I joined this group my english is getting better.... so I think (if time allows, and members feel comfortable) just send a pm....People sometimes don�t know about their mistakes....maybe you can find some on this text... feel free to pm... it�s the nicest way...no rude...

10 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Typos and slight mistakes can happen to anyone, no matter how many times we proofread - and let �s face it, we all hate proofreading. Sometimes the more you view a text the less you see your own mistakes.
Big vocabulary and grammar mistakes exist, because not all of us come from the same teaching background and experience. You can warn each other by pms or you can politely warn the authors of wss when you see their mistakes, and you will have various results - I �ve had people ignore me, tell me to mind my own business and people who ended up thanking me and asking for advice.
We �re only human, and none of us (including me) like to be told we did sth wrong. However, our egos can do with a little bit of discipline.
Anyway, it �s up to each of us to do the best we can when we create wss and up to all of us to check everything we download before we use it in class - this is why it �s important to have editable wss!!!
PS: We �ve all seen even posts in the forum which were full of mistakes, sometimes even hard to understand. But let �s not look at it from the negative side - the ones who �work � here at ESL are at least trying to improve their English and teaching skills. Well, most of us. So let �s help each other and do it politely. Unforgiven, you �re right, sometimes it is shocking, but let �s be forgiving, eh? Not criticising here, just sharing my opinion...

10 Jul 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Nobody is perfect. Learning a second language is a process and no one here is at the same level of fluency.

Also, depending on which side of the ocean we teach English, the vocabulary might be different for the same object. Because of that, I make sure that anyone downloading my printables can edit the text as they see fit.

PMing the person is a great idea although I don �t do it anymore since I once got a bad response (polite way to put it) in return from the member I was warning.

Have a great weekend!

10 Jul 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

Anita, I think there is a tremendous difference between the forum and worksheets. When I upload my worksheets for others to use I feel I really HAVE TO proofread them. When I write in the forum I just want to make myself understood and don �t fuss too much over mistakes.

Sometimes even the titles and short descriptions of worksheets contain up to 7 or 8 mistakes - I fell that is a LACK OF RESPECT towards the people for whom they are uploaded. Sorry to be so blunt about it Tongue Anita, you know how I tick...

It �s so hot here that I feel I �ll be dead by Sunday evening ... we �re not used to 36 degrees in this country and it �s killing everybody!
Three more school days before the holidays start ...

10 Jul 2010     

Anna P
Brazil

Like most of us I always double (triple) check my work before uploading but, as Manon says, �Nobody is perfict �. We all make mistakes and, in away, I even like when my students spot an error in a ws. It makes them more comfortable with their own mistakes.  Once one of my students noticed that I had written �babana � and �aplle � on an online exercise. Now, everytime she makes a mistake she says, "babana!". She used to be very tense about making mistakes but now she �s more relaxed.

Back to how to warn our colleagues if our ws has a mistake.  I think that to post a note in the Forum is a veiled way of advertisement. The ones who left a thank you note can be notified via PM and the ones who didn �t will have to find out by themselves.

As to warning members that their ws has a mistake I always send a PM, even if most are ignored.  I never got a nasty reply so I will continue to try to help.

10 Jul 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

Dear Dorothea, no hard feelings - point taken. You �re right about the respect thing. I was just thinking that some people(rarely but they are present) who post stuff in the forum really have a low level of fluency, so sometimes their posts are confusing.
AnnaP, glad you haven �t given up. Neither will I.
Good night, all
Anita

10 Jul 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I agree with most of the previous speakers, but would like to add one thing:

I always proofread the wss I download here before I give them to my ss. Sometimes, I feel really dismayed at all the mistakes I find, but in these cases I try to remind myself of this very true proverb: never look a gift horse in the mouth!! ;))))

11 Jul 2010