Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Choosing Readers    

Choosing Readers

Chilvis
Argentina

Choosing Readers

Hi, I need to decide on readers to use with my students in this second part of the year and I �d like to get your opinions on which are the most interesting titles (not necessarily well-known) for these groups:

1) 2nd juniors: a group between beginner and intermediate level, 12 years old
2) 3rd adolescents: pre-intermediate group, 14 years old
3) 2nd adults: elementary level, male students in their twenties

I know I can check the catalogues on the web pages but I want to know the results, the feedback you got from your students or the impressions you got after reading them.

Thanks for sharing with me; it �s the first time I have to make these choices and, as you can see, I don �t find it easy Ermm  

XXX
Chilvis

3 Aug 2010      

dturner
Canada

Penguin always has a vast selection which I have used and the students have enjoyed.  Another publisher is Orca.  www.orcabook.com
There books -- Soundings and Currents are well written and topical.  Look at their website.
Denise

3 Aug 2010     

lisa.weix
Austria

Dear Chilvis,

my students like the Fudge-series by Judy Blume a lot. I usually read it with my 8th graders (13 or 14 years old). The first book is "Tales of a fourth grade nothing". It�s NOT simplified and still rather easy to read, and great fun. It�s about a New York family. The older brother tells the story - lots of really funny things happen with his little brother Fudge.
Another book (very different kind) I could recommend is "When Hitler stole pink rabbit" by Judith Kerr, telling the story of a Jewish family in Berlin, who make it out of Germany in time - the story of their escape is very touching and interesting to read. Over here WW2 is a big topic in 8th grade, so that fits in nicely then.
For your older ones maybe "The curious incident of the dog in the night-time" by Mark Haddon would be interesting. An autistic boy tells the story - highly interesting, and very simple to read.
And I love almost everything written by Roald Dahl, but my favourite is "Danny, the champion of the world" - it�s so sweet! Also great: "The BFG" and "Matilda".
As you can see, there are no classics among these books, but what the heck - the kids love them, I think that�s more important :).

Hope I could help!
Have a great day, best wishes from Austria,
Elisabeth.

3 Aug 2010     

mariana_x
Czech Republic

I use Macmillan books, they usually include a CD as well. I downloaded many books on the net so I didn�t have to buy them. You can go to our Czech site called "www.ulozto.cz and in the seach window write Macmillan and you will find 5 "rar" files with all the books and audio. I think it�s perfect. There are many levels so all your students can choose. I hope it helped. Marie

3 Aug 2010     

kodora
Greece

I use Express Publishing  Readers.They are accompanied by CDs/CD-ROMs/DVDs.
Here is the link:http://www.expresspublishing.co.uk/index_of_readers.php?Country=uk
Dora

3 Aug 2010     

Chilvis
Argentina

Thank you very much for your contribution!!!Thumbs Up
I �m already checking the sites...

Have a great week Wink

5 Aug 2010