Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > BW Version of a worksheet    

BW Version of a worksheet

leonidas75
Spain

BW Version of a worksheet

Hi dear colleagues,

I �m designing new "Let �s remember..." worksheets for the first days of the school year. I make two versions, one with colours and another in black and white. The problem is that I can �t include the BW version with the coloured one to upload them both together here (I can �t reduce the size limit). Am I allowed to upload them separately?

Thank you! :)

3 Aug 2010      

libertybelle
United States

No it �s not allowed.  If you read the rules and regulations  - link at the top of this page -
you �ll read:

If you want to send a colour and a BW version of the same worksheet, they have to be in the same document.

Try compressing your color images and make sure they are the right size and not re-sized in Word - that saves a lot of kbytes.
There are also many programs for compressing worksheets you can find on the net.

L

3 Aug 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

If still you can �t compress enough for uploading them in the same file (it happens to me sometimes), try grouping the pictures, because then it �s easier for who downloads it to turn into B&W themselves. Or making it more �printer-friendly �.

Regards,
Bruna.

3 Aug 2010     

leonidas75
Spain

Thank you for your answers! I reduced the images as much as possible (with webresizer and compressing the images in Word), but it wasn �t enough.

Thanks again :)

4 Aug 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I use a program called NXpowerlite.
You can use it 10 times for free.
Compressing your images in Word doesn �t help as much, in my opinion.
This program compressing the whole worksheet without losing too much
resolution.

Sometimes it helps to start a whole new project.  Open up a new Word then copy and insert
into the new page. This also helps.

link
http://www.neuxpower.com/products/nxpowerlite-desktop/download/

4 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

There are inexpensive image editors which let you export and optimize your graphics. I am sure you have one sitting on your hard drive that you can use ;o) Using them will let you upload the color and BW version in one and the same document. If you do not have one, you could use this.

Please make sure your ws is black and white (Word lets you do that) and not grayscale....grayscale versions need excellent copy machines, which some of us don�t have available, and copying grayscale on a bad cm or a rizograph will leave people with ugly black spots that are useless.....making a grayscale version is practically dinking around, wasting time, because if people don�t have a color printer, the bw printer will give you the grayscale version anyway. (Not complaining or telling you what to do, just sharing information here ;o)

Just as an example: Alenka makes beautiful and successful BW (truly BW) worksheets.

Regards

4 Aug 2010     

marta_marta
Poland

Hi,

I �ve got a bit different question. Do you know any programs which automatically "convert" colour document into black-and-white one?

Thanks in advance,
Marta 

4 Aug 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

All photo editors will do that for you.

4 Aug 2010     

leonidas75
Spain

I �ve tried hard to compress it but I �ve been unsucessful. Anyway you �ve given me great ideas for the following worksheets.

@blunderbuster: I use Gimp to turn the images into BW, I don �t like grayscale, but the results are not as good as those from Alenka. They give good results when photocopying anyway :)

@libertybelle: Thank you for the program! The problem is that I work with Office 2010 and this program requires Office 2002-2007 :(

Thanks again!

4 Aug 2010