Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Additional Conditional Structures ... what ´s the logic?     

Additional Conditional Structures ... what ´s the logic?

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Additional Conditional Structures ... what ´s the logic?

Hello everybody!
Need you help :)

Besides four main types of conditional sentences and mixed ones we can also use other conditional structures like these:

IF + WOULD | WILL : If you WOULD take a seat, the doctor will see you shortly.
IF + WILL | WILL :  I will clean the house, if you WILL mow the lawn.

I �ve seen these structures used a couple of times before, but what �s the logic? What do they emphasize?

Thank you in advance!!
Kate Hug

4 Aug 2010      

yanogator
United States

"Would" and "could" can be used for polite requests, and that �s the explanation here. It �s also correct to say "If you will take a seat, the doctor will see you shortly." It just isn �t quite as polite.

Bruce

4 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

In this case will isn �t a future tense, but refers to willing to. If you would be willing to wait here...

4 Aug 2010     

marta_marta
Poland

Hi Kate,

Swan says that in certain situations we can use "if... will".

1. RESULT
We use will with if to talk about what will happen because of possible future actions - to mean "if this will be the later results".
Compare:

I �ll give you Ł100 if I win the lottery. (Winning the lottery is a condition - it must happen first.)
I �ll give you Ł100 if it �ll help you to go on on holiday. (The holiday is a result - it followes the gift of money.)

2. "IF IT IS TRUE NOW THAT..."
We use will with if when we are saying "if it is true now that..." or "if we know now that..."

If Ann won �t be here on Thursday, we �d better cancel the meeting.

3. INDIRECT QUESTION

I don �t know if it �ll be ready in time.

4. POLITE REQUESTS
We use will with if  in polite requests. In this case, will is not a future auxiliary; it means "to be willing to".

If you will come this way, I �ll show you your room.

5. INSISTANCE
Stressed will can be used after if to suggest insistance.

If you will eat so much, it �s not surprising you feel ill.

Hope it helps :-)

SOURCE: M. Swan, Practical English Usage, OUP

4 Aug 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

I have a question about using will / will in the second example. It doesn �t sound logical to write the sentence this way. The senetnce doesm �t belong to the category of factual / predictive conditions. Right? Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, could it be an exception?

4 Aug 2010     

kodora
Greece

If you will/would is often used in polite requests.Would is more polite:If you will/would wait a moment I �ll see if Mr Jones is free.
If you would +infinitive is often used alone to denote that the speaker assumes that the other person will comply as a matter of course:(in a classroom)If you would open your books.
If+will/would with all persons to indicate willingness:If he will listen to me I �ll be able to help him.Won �t used in this way can mean"refuse":If they won �t accept a cheque we �ll have to pay in cash.
will can be used to express obstinate insistence:If you will play the drums all night no wonder the neighbours complain(if you insist on playing...)
(A practical English Grammar Thomson-Martinet)
I hope I �ve helped you
Dora

4 Aug 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

Thank you everyone!

Have just found this:

In Objective Proficiency they explain the second example as a parallel conditional construction. Kinda makes sense.Geek

4 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

Yeah...Right!Approve

4 Aug 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hey, Stexstme, you �re here again. MMMMMMM!!! Right? What ar u talkin about exactly?;))

4 Aug 2010     

marta_marta
Poland

A parallel conditional construction??? What �s that? What do they say about it Kate? I don �t get it... Embarrassed

4 Aug 2010     

stexstme
France

@Nebal,
Sending hugs to Kate ..;& Cauffeepotting... The forum is boring these days.
Approve
@ Kate,
I know you �ll forgive me ...Clown

4 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >